Smart Car of America Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 4207 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sweet!! What rims are those going on?

I ordered a rear glass handle and looking where to install my Sirius satellite radio kit under the dash. Anywhere to get the "add a circuit" to tap into the factory fuse box side?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I have Xtatic wheels. Fronts were narrowed .5" to 6.5" and 7" in the rear. These were the first set of tires I found with 195/40r17 for the fronts that weren't Yokohama's. $80 apiece.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Got the tires mounted and balanced. The tire guys had some issues with the 195's on the 6.5" rims but finally got them. Trial fitted the rears and looks like 20mm spacers will work. Have to order them and the cone seat lugs. Then I can put them on and post pictures. .

·
Registered
436 Posts
As it was finally cool enough to work in the garage, I mounted a new Garmin GPS adjacent to the UltraGauge in little Munchkin, and neatened up and stowed away all the wiring which has been a mess in front of and on the dash.

At my age it is nice to know both what Munchkin is doing inside the works, and where she and I am. We often go running off together to play in the boondocks and I rely on her knowing the way home, 'cause I sure don't.

Jim

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Took Rover to our city's Christmas Parade with my favorite passenger, my wife. We got on the scene early enough to park close enough to the parade route that Rover could be seen by the people in the parade. Rover had the Christmas spirit and wore his green Santa hat, sorry, no pictures.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Went to the big Poker Run in Tampa/Clearwater/Sarasota. It was awesome! On the governor the whole time driving there and back to Orlando.
I got in at least 3 solid hours of governor time today! Ah yeah. clears the sinuses.
We even went over the Sunshine Skyway bridge with that blazing Florida Sun beating down on the sparkling open waters of Tampa Bay!
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Registered
562 Posts
Reindeer Games

Was driving home on 696 today and decided to have some fun with another driver.:p

I'm toolin' along minding my own business doin' about 80 behind a Honda in the left lane. Pretty common for a drive home mid-afternoon. (Wasn't tailgating, just cruisin'.)

Anyway, shortly after passing Dequindre, I glance in my rearview and see a black sedan catching up at a high rate of speed. (Compared to my 80, I'd guess he was doing close to 100.) He dives over two lanes to boost around us and the cars we were passing and shoots through the traffic. Then about 1/10th of a mile later, he hits a patch of traffic he can't wiggle through and we catch up to him. I pretty much expected this, being that it's a black sedan with drooping ground effects, 18k HID's with blackouts and debadged. (His body kit really was drooping, looked like he lost a couple of fasteners.)

Then I start thinking.... "Let's make a game out of this."
So I set up the rules to be pretty simple. I won't go past 80, and I won't pull any stupid lane shifts with 3 inches to spare. Drive respectably, but use the size of my car to my advantage when finding paths in traffic and see who gets ahead.

First off, I figured that this would be a really short game. He got an opening and floored it again, off he went, and I lost sight of him.
A mile later I caught up. The game was on! :D

It was really funny because he'd make some wild maneuver to try to slip through traffic and get stuck, while my cruising along allowed me to see the traffic patterns better and take advantage. (Plus I could use smaller holes in traffic than he could.)

It was pretty funny for a while. He'd shoot ahead, then I'd cruise past, then he'd get an opening and shoot ahead, only to have me passing him again. It was loads of fun when we hit the ramp from 696 to 94. He slowed down to 65 or 70 for it and I cruised past him at 75. (A little bit bumpy on that ramp for the Smart, but well worth it.)

Back onto 94, he kept doing the same thing, boost up to 100, come up on traffic, shoot for a hole, misjudge, and get passed by me. I think it really started to irk him, but was loads of fun for me and I really didn't do much aside from how I would normally drive in that traffic. It finally ended when he got off at the 23 mile exit. I had half a mind to follow him off and tease him a little if he stopped in McD's or something, but you never know how kids will react these days.
:burnout:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just a warning to the wise. Try that down here in my part of the world and you could end up shot. Road rage is known to get quite serious down here.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
My little guy kept having the TPM light go sporadically on for the last several days. The tires looked okay to me, but this was driving me crazy. So I checked the pressure and the front was 21 and the rear 28 PSI. I immediately raised the pressure to 31 front and 38 rear. I was fooled by just looking at the tires and believed they were within specs.
Then we went to IKEA in Tampa to see the Christmas stuff and have our 99 cent breakfast.
When we arrived at 10 AM, I noticed about six parking spaces with HIGH EFFICIENCY VEHICLES ONLY besides the HANDICAPPED spaces. Well that was a delight.
Traveling on I-75 both ways we were moving mostly from 80-85 MPH. Not one trooper in sight in either direction. Saying that, the car behaved great with just enough pep to pass most other, actually almost all other vehicles. A/C wasn't needed at 69 degrees and car just moved. We were fluid in motion. It amused me to pass other cars because one of the question I get is usually "How fast can this go?"
I just filled the tank the other day and decided at 1/2 tank to fill it up again, for I was curious about the poor mileage I generally get at such speeds. Well.. I got 44.2 MPG, the best I've ever accomplished. I was very careful filling up the tank properly too. :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just a warning to the wise. Try that down here in my part of the world and you could end up shot. Road rage is known to get quite serious down here.

Jim
Growing up in between Dallas and Ft Worth, I know what you mean. Back in the day it didn't used to be like that though. We used to have some real fun on the roads.

Up here, it can get you in lots of trouble too, but it depends a lot of where it is you're at.

1021 - 1040 of 4207 Posts