Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The moment of truth..

I installed Brabus paddleshift levers with the new steering wheel, the Brabus paddleshift levers are longer and with "B" logos on each side.

I haven't removed the factory screen protector on the media unit yet, I am still on the hunt for an actual screen protector for it. Once I find it, I will replace it. The factory one looks beat up in the photos, but in personal, it still gets the job done so far.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That looks fantastic. Your risk has paid (no pun) off ...
Lol, thanks I appreciate it!

It was a long wait without driving this newly acquired fun kart. I still have less than 500 miles on it right now, hopefully before my next mod, I could pass that factory 1,000 mile break-in period.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think it's too much carbon fiber. I like it but would have probably just done the rim. I don't go for that or wood because my hands sweat and it's tough to grab the wheel.

Still, I am impressed with the quality from the Chinese company that did it and I think you got a fair deal on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think it's too much carbon fiber. I like it but would have probably just done the rim. I don't go for that or wood because my hands sweat and it's tough to grab the wheel.

Still, I am impressed with the quality from the Chinese company that did it and I think you got a fair deal on it.
I was going to keep all grey trims including the center part on the steering wheel, but I figured "go big or go home" and the price wasn't that much a difference, so I went with it. I kinda noticed the hand sweat after installation, given the fact that I am in SoCal, the sun is still brutal during the daytime. Also my ring will sometimes gently touch the carbon fiber parts of steering wheel, I kinda want to avoid any scratching from it. I guess this would be a first-world problem? lmao

Chinese quality is not bad recent years tbh, they really improved quite a bit from what I experienced lately. If there were any ways to reduce International shipping charges, that would be a prime time..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also replaced my stock tach to Brabus tach. Would still love to replace speedometer to the European Brabus version but have not come across where to purchase one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I also replaced my stock tach to Brabus tach. Would still love to replace speedometer to the European Brabus version but have not come across where to purchase one.
I placed my order on that Brabus instrument cluster from my source. I should be able to get it installed next month. The price? roughly $727 after currency conversion before the shipping charge.

The key concern is that you have to let someone who has Mercedes online software tools to help you boot it up. I was told that it was not a plug-n-play type of mod like the tachometer. It requires computer activation before it can work properly. However and luckily, the computer activation does not require EU Brabus VIN verification to perform.

One more thing to think about it before you make your decision on getting it. the speed is displayed in km/h not m/h. Which means, if you want to install it, you will have to rely on the digital speed reading from your middle central screen. Brabus never made one with m/h as speed unit, unfortunately.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here is pic of Brabus instrument cluster,not too different from stock one
Wow, this is actually my first time seeing a Brabus cluster with mph as the unit!!!! I am so glad to know that they actually made this version, now I have to see if I can get this mph instead of kmph:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Ah... So it's white on black instead of black on white. Looks nicer. Wonder if it can be mimicked in the same kinda way people were making custom speedometers in the 451...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well... Don't think it's even possible to hit the top of the standard 453 speedometer, either....

But it's kinda funny that the speedometer in the 453 goes up higher than the speedometer in a newer Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well... Don't think it's even possible to hit the top of the standard 453 speedometer, either....

But it's kinda funny that the speedometer in the 453 goes up higher than the speedometer in a newer Jeep Wrangler.

I am pretty sure a ECU tuned smart can go much faster or maybe hit the top speed on the speedometer, but it will require stickier tire and better brakes to handle extra powers, and maybe a airstrip to achieve it. lol

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tried using a brushed blue vinyl to wrap the panel to the left of the instrument cluster/steering wheel where the vent is. Took the panel off, which was a royal pain... that stupid plastic tab that's tucked behind the top of the cluster just would NOT come out anywhere near as easy as the side with the radio did. Got to wrapping it... and realize that doing so on a panel with so many bends and curves and angle adjustments is either impossible to do with one piece of vinyl, or just well above my ability (which is practically none, since i've never wrapped anything before). Think i'm just gonna try some Plasti-Dip on it.... maybe a white base with sapphire blue pearlizer... i dunno

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Tried using a brushed blue vinyl to wrap the panel to the left of the instrument cluster/steering wheel where the vent is. Took the panel off, which was a royal pain... that stupid plastic tab that's tucked behind the top of the cluster just would NOT come out anywhere near as easy as the side with the radio did. Got to wrapping it... and realize that doing so on a panel with so many bends and curves and angle adjustments is either impossible to do with one piece of vinyl, or just well above my ability (which is practically none, since i've never wrapped anything before). Think i'm just gonna try some Plasti-Dip on it.... maybe a white base with sapphire blue pearlizer... i dunno
Bring it to a local car wrap shop and I am pretty sure they can help you with the wrap within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
729 Posts

That’s kind of what I ended up concluding when I wrapped the black pillars on the back of my 451. Everyone says it looks good but I think it looks like poo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 54 Posts