Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Passion with about 157,000 miles is blowing much smoke.. The mechanic told me he believes the engine is shot.
Sadly, I think it's time for MAXWELL and I to part.

I called one salvage yard and they offered $595... I'll be checking around for better offer but would appreciate hearing any recommendations, advice and experiences.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It would be appreciated if you could offer it here first. Even if you don't make any more money it might help the community. I bought my second Smart as a heap here, but I am nowhere near you so I would not be a contender.
Having swapped in a motor on one of these, I wouldn't recommend it financially. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot, but it wasn't the best use of my money.

That said, some of the more ambitious and enterprising souls have parted out their cars and it might be worth it to see if that might net you more money and get the parts into the community, but that might be too much hassle for the average person.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
I sold my 2008 in the exact same condition on Craigslist for $1750 (was asking $2000).
It was purchased by a local Auto Repair who had no idea what a smart car was.
I think they got in over their head, because it was relisted by them on Craigslist a few days later at $1950 and I haven't seen it since.

Parting out a 2008 might get you more than your salvage bid, but I just didn't have the time to do so.

Just sayin'
Jim

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I have several people I know. That have donated vehicles, the blind. They then repair the damage, or broken vehicles. Sell them off, for money for the blind. The next door neighbor kids, just did that. He’s old Honda Civic blew a head gasket. In doing that, it’s a tax write off.

Any salvage yard, in the Kansas City metro area. Will buy your old car, for a couple hundred dollars. There is a foreign car salvage yard, near Kauffman Stadium. West Right at I 435. They will buy the car from you. There is another salvage, North Kansas City. Down the street from the power and light company. Where the old Sear outlet was. They carry foreign car parts too. I bought parts for my Honda’s. They clean up the parts, wrap them up in plastic, label, like their new.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would take it if you want to part with it if you haven’t done something with it already.
I’ve got a project I am wanting to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2008 Passion with about 157,000 miles is blowing much smoke.. The mechanic told me he believes the engine is shot.
Sadly, I think it's time for MAXWELL and I to part.

I called one salvage yard and they offered $595... I'll be checking around for better offer but would appreciate hearing any recommendations, advice and experiences.
If it is blowing grey smoke, it has a blown head gasket. I had a blown head gasket on my 2008 smart and the smart dealer in Orlando said they would not just replace the gasket, they replaced the complete head at a cost of $5500. I have since discovered a reputable repair shop can replace the gasket at a much lower cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts