Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the whole site and find nothing about WORKS. Anyone know why? I asked the Admin, but received no reply.

Also, WORKS does not show up in supporting vendors.:confused:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did WORKS fail to pay $ to our site?

Wonder if WORKS was asked to support the site and declined. Then poof, bye-bye WORKS links.

X

·
0 Posts
WORKS/smarter where are you!?

The website for WORKS is WORKS - Automotive Engineering - Power | Precision | Passion

I see David's page is up at DriverSide (they passed out the coffee cups, remember?) DriverSide | Help for Buying, Owning, Car Repair & Maintenance

And, I called the shop at Infineon today to leave a voicemail for what sounded like Pete Kang's mailbox, will let you know if anything turns up..

Does anyone know if smarttune is going to carry the WORKS products? Dan Drahos was at the Infineon event so was hoping maybe they would know something.. It's a mystery!

I really REALLY wanted to put their stuff on my car. I couldn't wait for the springs so I already put on the Eibach set when I got my wheels, still wanting that sway bar, intake, and brake line kit. I dunno about the exhaust, if they ever finished the design or not?

Since I can be annoying, I called them a few minutes ago (again) and talked to Kim, the receptionist. She said she was pretty sure they were still going to make stuff for the smart and would have David or Pete give me a call back :) crossing fingers.. I know there's just a few guys there with a massively overwhelming customer base..

·
Registered
759 Posts
The website for WORKS is WORKS - Automotive Engineering - Power | Precision | Passion

I see David's page is up at DriverSide (they passed out the coffee cups, remember?) DriverSide | Help for Buying, Owning, Car Repair & Maintenance

And, I called the shop at Infineon today to leave a voicemail for what sounded like Pete Kang's mailbox, will let you know if anything turns up..

Does anyone know if smarttune is going to carry the WORKS products? Dan Drahos was at the Infineon event so was hoping maybe they would know something.. It's a mystery!

I really REALLY wanted to put their stuff on my car. I couldn't wait for the springs so I already put on the Eibach set when I got my wheels, still wanting that sway bar, intake, and brake line kit. I dunno about the exhaust, if they ever finished the design or not?

Since I can be annoying, I called them a few minutes ago (again) and talked to Kim, the receptionist. She said she was pretty sure they were still going to make stuff for the smart and would have David or Pete give me a call back :) crossing fingers.. I know there's just a few guys there with a massively overwhelming customer base..
Yup. I was hot to buy stuff, too. Especially the sway bar and springs.
My take is that if they thought there was a buck to made, they would have gone after the market with gusto.

But they didn't. After the Infineon meet, it all went fizzle.

Personally, they have lost credibility in my book. It will take a lot to restore my confidence enough to do business with them, should they decide to "really" enter the market.

geosynch

X

·
0 Posts
Yup. I was hot to buy stuff, too. Especially the sway bar and springs. My take is that if they thought there was a buck to made, they would have gone after the market with gusto.
Well, no, those of us that were there realize that wasn't the point- WORKS is purely a development team, they are just a bunch of engineers and enthusiasts who develop the stuff, they aren't sales people and have no intention of directly selling whatever gets developed, that is, they just don't have the staff or facilities to do that. What they wanted though, was for a company or seller to step up; dealerships, autoparts stores, etc, to do that end of it. They are a victim of their own success.

They did have a sign-up before the event and did installs for some people who paid in advance for the mods, but since then, I don't know what happened. I wish now I would have done it at the time, but I waffled and didn't do it then.

After the Infineon meet, it all went fizzle. Personally, they have lost credibility in my book. It will take a lot to restore my confidence enough to do business with them, should they decide to "really" enter the market.
geosynch
Yes, WORKS is known for having slow turn-around on customer service inquires, they aren't too internet savvy and can take a few days for email or returning a voicemail, for the same reasons I mentioned above.. I've read stuff on the forums and historically, the best thing to do is call them until you reach someone in person to talk to, when you finally do get someone, the interaction is generally great.

My time is valuable and I work during the day, I don't have time to chase someone down or I'd make more of an issue of it. I do like their mods and feel their products are superior to everything else that's out there right now for the 451. I would be sad if they decide not to move forward with it.

I really hope David V or someone from WORKS replies to me or stumbles on this and can address our concerns and let us know what's been going on..

X

·
0 Posts
come on feel the noise..

does the smart really need a quieter exhaust? this i don't know, basically, the factory design can be improved upon and the end result is both a gain in horsepower and fuel efficiency.. not sure if it will be any quieter per se :rolleyes:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, no, those of us that were there realize that wasn't the point-
Interesting. I was there I thought that <i>was</i> the point. Remember the "smarter line announced" thread? Sounded like they were trying to start a new line of products to me.

They may be a bunch of engineers, but they were trying to start a new product line. Something happened to distract them. They may or may not decide to get back to their smarter line. But one thing is for sure. If Works does decide to get back to their smarter line, you will be able to buy their products. If they don't, you won't.

Best,

geosynch

X

·
0 Posts
smarter / WORKS *update*

Well, regardless of my personal opinion as to the intent of the Infineon event (thought it was more educational and autocross than a sales pitch, but call me crazy!)

I had a great discussion with Pete Kang, founder and lead engineer at WORKS. They were on their way to the L.A. Autoshow but in summary they had this to say:

- WORKS/smarter has completed most of the R&D and has stuff ready for distribution. They are basically wholesale fabricators that make parts but, again, don't sell direct to the public nor are they setup as a storefront per se, however they are willing to setup appointments for installing things on your smart, as well setting up partnerships to do the business end of selling the products as authorized distributors/installers.

Here are some of the products they have ready to bolt-on:

- Upgraded brake lines (as demoed at the Infineon event), you can get these for the front discs primarily, they didnt find much benefit in upgrading the rear brake lines since there's drums in the back. With the brake lines you can get the Motul brake fluid. They are also working on testing a few different composites to replace the stock brake pads, these would be similar to what they've done for the Mitsubishi/WORKS Evo, Eclipse, Lancer cars -- that is still in development.

- cold air intake with K&N cone and silicone hose, direct bolt-on replacement for the stock airbox.

- Sway bar (front anti-roll bar) -- direct replacement of factory bar.

- Springs/suspension, these are basically stiffer stronger springs to help eliminate the "rocking" motion experienced with the stock springs during shifting and hard accelleration/braking/etc. Though he didn't come out and say it exactly, there's been some speculation on doing Koni-style coil-overs.

- Exhaust, again a direct replacement for the stock exhaust, these are complete but they are doing additional tweaks to the design and materials, so specs may vary slightly. It is similar to the one we saw on David Vespremi's car.

Very exciting, quality, cool performance products to make your smart smarter ;)

So by now you're wondering WHERE to get this stuff? You will soon be able to order this directly through the SOCSF website (Smart Owners Club of San Francisco is working on a partnership) as well WORKS is talking to some smart-specific aftermarket companies to carry their accessories.

The great thing about these parts is, for most of it, any good DIY mechanic with reasonable ability and experience can put these mods on your smart car, or you could get your local performance shop to do it for you. Technically, the springs (because of how you get to them under the car) and brake lines (since you need to bleed them etc.) are probably the hardest thing to do, the rest are pretty much unbolt the old part, bolt-on the new one, and viola, you're done! I will post some pictures and more information as it becomes available.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No ECU from WORKS in-the-works

The Bosche ECU appears to be too difficult and time time consuming for WORKS to justify hacking and create a new ECU. Apparently, the Smartfor two ECU is unique to the vehicle and has not been hacked by WORKS. A modified ECU is the ticket for non-turbo owners to see big increases in performance and shift improvements. Too bad WORKS does not feel there is enough of a market to justify an ECU upgrade.:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts