Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I read a lot of subjects concerning charging and dead 12V battery's and what to do when leaving the car for a few months in a warehouse. I don't seem to be able to find the answer to what happens if I, accidentally, am driving till there is no battery-range left. Not very smart if I do so, but is it catastrophically? Or does the car shutoff and start right up after charging.

This didn't happen, but I own a 2014 Smart Electric Drive since 6 weeks and I still do have some range-anxiety ;)

Kind regards from The Netherlands,
Axel

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Never had it happen to me. (5+ years in a smartED)

my understanding is that when you reach 0% available charge the car will shut down.

I have heard (from owners of other EV brands) that if you turn it off, wait awhile (10-30 min) and restart, you MIGHT have enough reserve power to limp to a charger (2-5mi)?

I believe that if you plug into a charger after reaching 0%, it should recharge and be back to normal.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
axelish,

Starting at 20 percent SOC, you will see a "battery on reserve" (or whatever it is in Dutch?) warning. At about 10-15% SOC the maximum power output will be progressively cut (depending on temperature) as indicated by the power bars on the right lower corner of the indicator panel. Two bars is hardly noticeable except on an expressway, but at one bar, the top speed will be only about 70 kph, less in cold weather. At a couple percent, a more urgent warning and beeper may sound. At zero, the car will then shut off, but I believe that turning the car off then on, allows you to move to car a hundred meters each time so you can at least find a safe place to park the car.

But note that the battery SOC has a safety cushion built in to prevent battery damage. Zero on the gauge is probably about 15% absolute SOC.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
At zero, the car will then shut off, but I believe that turning the car off then on, allows you to move to car a hundred meters each time so you can at least find a safe place to park the car.
ALL EV owners should be required to experience this "drill" as it will cure you of "range anxiety."

After only a couple weeks of ED ownership, ignoring ALL signs that THE END IS NEAR, we found ourselves dead at the side of the road! In full on ANXIETY, we used those precious key clicks to near a 120V outlet only to push the last few yards.

Lesson learned, 5 years later and still living with 68 +or- mile range subject to driving behavior and weather report . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've already been driving both of my smarties (ED3 & ED4) to the point where they stopped driving.

My ED4 even had to stay empty for about a week or so.
As long as it's not for too long (multible weeks), it should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts