Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this crazy idea to put a 'busa motor or honda b16 in the 451. It would be a good p/r move to have a contest for a few lucky speed shops. It might even get in a magazine!
I was thinking real hard about getting an old mini and doing a wild engine swap!
Can someone do some leg work and find out what there going to do with them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Museum, maybe? But, they aren't about to sell them. They would be part of the liability chain on a car that didn't meet US DOT safety standards from the manufacturer.

You buy the car, change back something that was changed to meet the DOT standards, you get hurt. You sue because you didn't know any better, and that is how the car was originally built.

You win millions and millions of dollars, and they made 40,000 on the cars. This tells you what they really think of gray cars from their perspective.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have this crazy idea to put a 'busa motor or honda b16 in the 451. It would be a good p/r move to have a contest for a few lucky speed shops. It might even get in a magazine!
I was thinking real hard about getting an old mini and doing a wild engine swap!
All of this has already been done. Hyabusa in a Smart, Honda V-Tec in a classic Mini. I suggest shoehorning a Rat engine in a Smart if you want to do something original. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's hard to believe. You KNOW they can sell them or put them in a Smart Museum since these cars are making history IMHO. :confused::)
Government regulations require them to destroy the cars after a year. They were able to bring these cars over by way of claiming an automobile manufacturers evaluation. Autoweek did this a couple of years ago and explained it in their article. Wished I remember where it was and I would post it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Government regulations require them to destroy the cars after a year. They were able to bring these cars over by way of claiming an automobile manufacturers evaluation. Autoweek did this a couple of years ago and explained it in their article. Wished I remember where it was and I would post it.
They can be sold in Canada, eh? :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check this one out

Linkie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts