Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how to best get an electric Smart from the dealer to my garage. The closest dealers to me are 120 and 170 miles away. I obviously can't do it on one charge. I'm looking at a lot of options including towing it part or all of the way, taking more than a day to get it home, etc.

Hoping this won't happen, but what happens when you completely use up the charge? Is there a fail safe on the system that will stop you before that happens? Can damage be done to the battery by running it down completely? What else do I need to know and consider?

Thanks.

Len

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Is there an urban area halfway where you could quick-charge the vehicle in a few hours? If so, maybe you could drive for 60-90 minutes, then charge for six hours, then continue to your destination.

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I have tried working delivery at one dealership with no luck. Will also try at the other one.

There is a city about midway with several charging stations. That is a possibility and I also have contacted an acquaintance who has offered to tow it halfway. That may take care of delivery, but service and turn in could be an issue.

Still the original question remains. What happens and/or what damage can be done running the car until it stops?

Len

·
17,350 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I have tried working delivery at one dealership with no luck. Will also try at the other one.
If the dealer isn't willing, how do they expect you to get it in for its yearly service? Take days off from work?!?!?!?!?

If you have a large and powerful enough vehicle, maybe you have to rent a U-Haul car carrier to get it home.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

There is a city about midway with several charging stations. That is a possibility and I also have contacted an acquaintance who has offered to tow it halfway. That may take care of delivery, but service and turn in could be an issue.

Still the original question remains. What happens and/or what damage can be done running the car until it stops?

Len
IIRC, the smart will shut down automatically when it get to a pre-determined voltage. smart does not recommend going below 20% charge on the battery, even though it will run below that.

From running lithium packs in a couple of my R/C planes, I believe the safe cutoff(depending on the lithium chemistry) is 1.1V per cell. I don't know how many cells are in a smart battery, but damage can result from running them below that. Most controllers have safety cutoffs to keep voltage above the minimum. I'm sure the smart does as well.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
My local smart Center (5 miles) was, is and apparently always will be, EDless.

The closest Center with ED sales/service training AND inventory is beyond the dreaded EV RANGE and all purchase conversations have been tempered by "delivery and service" situations are my problem.

Oddly this true "city" car is perfect for beach, mountain and other ecologically savvy towns (most of which have no smart Center). smartUSA is missing a great sales opportunity by not subsidizing the (reasonable) transportation of an ED to a customer.* Even though FREE would be best, I'd be happy to meet them halfway on the cost of such a flatbed service.

Now if I were looking to buy a M-B AMG, they would have it in my driveway tonight.

Kermit says "It's not easy being green" and it's not easy being the ugly EV stepchild either!

*Silly me, thought maybe smartUSA was looking for suggestions? :shrug:

·
17,350 Posts
My local smart Center (5 miles) was, is and apparently always will be, EDless.
My favourite smart centre (smart centre St. Charles) has a metallic blue ED that they got from smart centre Madison (they traded a petrol for the ED).

As I know of, this is the second ED to hit any of the Illinois dealers.

The problem? The St. Charles dealership doesn't have any ED techs, no charging station, and no actual way to get rid of that car! :D

Mad props to smart for the ED, but they suck so bad at rolling it out to the rest of the nation.

·
17,350 Posts
A smart will, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Many U-Haul moving vehicles are unsuitable for car transport.
- Not much ventilation, the walls aren't really strong enough to safely secure a vehicle, and weight distribution...

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
If the dealer isn't willing, how do they expect you to get it in for its yearly service? Take days off from work?!?!?!?!?
Here's the old troll throwing a comment in the ED sub-forum.

Take days off work? That's precisely what I had to do to get my ICE smart serviced while under warranty. My nearest dealers are all about 300 miles from my home. I enjoyed the getaway to be honest with you.

It didn't even enter my mind to ask the dealer how I was supposed to get my car to them for scheduled maintenance. That's not their responsibility.

Now, y'all properly whip me back to my horrid hole under the bridge.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
It didn't even enter my mind to ask the dealer how I was supposed to get my car to them for scheduled maintenance. That's not their responsibility.

The challenges and limitations are significantly different for an electric vehicle driver.

While maybe not the "responsibility" of the OEM or dealer, per se, those entities must assist to make electric vehicle ownership practical, IF they expect the public to embrace such technology.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
As a car buyer, it is your responsibility to take these matters into account before you sign the papers and drive off in your new car. So, you bought a shiny new ED, wonderful. And, you haven't even considered how you will manage your maintenance?

Nevermind the fact that, as a taxpayer, I'm footing part of your bill for your privilege of driving an electric car, now the dealer is supposed to hold your hand in ways they wouldn't for any other car purchase?

Again, not the dealer's responsibility. That's insane to think it is. Bizarre.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
So, you bought a shiny new ED, wonderful. And, you haven't even considered how you will manage your maintenance?

Again, not the dealer's responsibility. That's insane to think it is. Bizarre.

It appears that the OP is considering a purchase, and studying options for bringing the car home and managing future service issues if he buys the car.

Seems reasonable to me. :dunno:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
It appears that the OP is considering a purchase, and studying options for bringing the car home and managing future service issues if he buys the car.

Seems reasonable to me. :dunno:
Yes. Reasonable to assume you, as the buyer, are responsible for your car's maintenance. Not the dealer.

If you can't tolerate the measures required to maintain the car, just don't buy it. It really is that simple.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts