Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there EV love in a $10 charge?

1/26/2014 - Matthews, Mint Hill scheduled to have electric-vehicle charging stations by spring

Matthews, North Carolina will have an electric vehicle charging station soon, and Mint Hill won’t be far behind.

The Matthews Board of Commissioners recently approved construction of a Level 3 charging station adjacent to PNC Bank on Matthews Station Street. The DC fast-charger has the capability to charge a car powered by electricity in 15-30 minutes, depending on the level of charge remaining in the vehicle.

Matthews is one of approximately 20 sites in North Carolina participating in the roll-out of the state’s first direct-current fast chargers, part of the “NC Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Readiness Initiative: Plugging in from Mountains to Sea.”

Matthews officials plan to enter into a 10-year licensing agreement with Brightfield Transportation Solutions, an Asheville company that will build, maintain and upgrade the station when needed.

There will be no cost to the town. Brightfield will collect a fee, somewhere in the $10 range, for people to charge their vehicles.

The charging station will feature one Level 3 charger and as many as six Level 2 chargers. A Level 2 charger has the capability to charge a car in two to four hours, depending on the level of charge remaining in the vehicle.

Matthews, Mint Hill scheduled to have electric-vehicle charging stations by spring

·
Registered
29 Posts
$10 seems awfully high, that's comparable to gasoline costs per mile. I used to live in NC, have been to Asheville. My hat is off to the early adopters there. I can imagine they have more obstacles to overcome than in Silicon Valley where there's a charge station at every corner practically.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If I make a trip someplace I couldn't reach without recharging, I have no problem paying $10 for that trip. Obviously, I won't do that on a regular basis. If you look at the return of investment installing an EVSE will be a tough sell even at $10/charge. I understand it needs to be justified somehow, but it's probably better to pay it out of a marketing budget: Having chargers available will bring more customers and give them an incentive to stay longer.

I have parked in garages with chargers. Free charge, but garage parking anywhere between $1 and $24 in one case. Again not a problem once or twice on a longer trip.

My regular charge is free at work, or retail electric rate at home.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should be noted that Brightfield Transportation Solutions (a private sector, for-profit company) is "solar driven" To design and deploy durable and intelligent solar-integrated electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and to advance electric vehicle market development.

As such, charging stations can be equipped with smart-grid compatible EV chargers and integrated grid-tied solar arrays.

BrightField Transportation Solutions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts