Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I enjoy reading the posts in here, too often it seems like a lot of these are owners complaining when things go wrong. I thought it would be nice to see some more positive posts, so here goes:

What I like about my Smart:

-Engineered by Mercedes-Benz

-Made in France

-Reliable & Safe

-Low Purchase Price

-MPG

-Rear-Engined, Rear Wheel Drive

-Mercedes-Benz Dealership Service

-Crazy Red Interior!

I love my car! I've owned it since March 2010 and it has been a lot of fun! I love that it is quirky and different. I even enjoy the Automated Manual transmission! That is probably the one thing that took the longest to get used to, but I really like it now. I'm almost kinda sad it will be going away on the next generation. The Smart car has a very elegant simplicity to me a la the Citroen 2CV or VW Beetle. It has been very inexpensive to own and operate.

My wish list is short. I would like to see MB offer the Smart ForFour, a diesel engine (!), and if neither of those give me the A or B Class please!

Okay, what do YOU like about your Smart?

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Got my first one in Sept of 2008, it had ...issues and was replaced with a 2009 in May of 2009. A few hiccups but for the most part, a good car. Currently has 114,000 miles on the odometer...

·
17,350 Posts
I like:

- Shock value: Makes heads turn like a Ferrari.
- Driving Dynamics: It's like my old go-kart.
- Style: It's hard to make a smart look bad. It's a contemporary design that's somewhat conservative, yet still ahead of its time.
- Ease of maintenance: I can change the oil with my eyes closed!
- The transmission: Ease of an automatic, economy and fun of a manual!

I could go on forever :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its just super cool. The funnier thing is and I don't wanna stir anything up, but I'm a 41 year old man that from what I'm told looks more like early 30's and African american and people look at me like a zombie when driving this thing. I've actually had some kids at the car wash ask me what was I doing driving a smartcar and that they've never seen a black man in one. I laughed and said, there's only one thing I like more than making money.............. And that's keeping it. I save so much on gas by owning this car that its insane and even on the outside of that, I just love this car:)

·
17,350 Posts
I get the same thing...especially when I get to playing some really unpopular music (we're talking Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber here)...loudly...with the windows down... :D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Its just super cool. The funnier thing is and I don't wanna stir anything up, but I'm a 41 year old man that from what I'm told looks more like early 30's and African american and people look at me like a zombie when driving this thing. I've actually had some kids at the car wash ask me what was I doing driving a smartcar and that they've never seen a black man in one. I laughed and said, there's only one thing I like more than making money.............. And that's keeping it. I save so much on gas by owning this car that its insane and even on the outside of that, I just love this car:)
I'm with you here. I love this car. It's so fun, and has lead to me meeting so many great folks at the many get togethers I've been to.

I sat down this morning and figured up what my smart has saved me. I will cross 150K miles in the next month. Figuring just gas savings from my previous car(2003 Dodge Stratus sedan), I have saved $8163.00!!! That half of what I paid for my smart!

·
Super Moderator
28,241 Posts
For the OP, you can have the A and B-Class from your nearest Mercedes dealer - but they probably won't be the cars you're looking for. The CLA is a four door sedan, not the five door hatchback version sold in Europe. The B-Class is the same body style as in the EU, but we only get it as an electric drive version. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love my smart (Thank you Kamaal)

I love the size...easy to part, easy for others to park.
I love the rear engine, rear wheel drive.
I love the drawer (2013) under the basic radio. I wish the drawer was a full time integration into the dash so I could get a double din. But the ability to keep pens, cash, handkerchief, coins etc out of sight is worth its weight in gold.
I love the clear roof, although I wish it could fold back for open air fun.
I love the design aesthetic of the car.. LOVE the round rear tail lights, although I wish both were lit up when the lights are on.
I love the Tridion steel safety shell. People ask me if I feel safe, I explain to them why, and why I WOULD NOT feel safe in an IQ, Sonic, Fiat, or any small car...or a motorcycle. Mercedes much like Volvo, or vice versa, has a long history of safety built into their automobiles. Safety just makes sense.
I love the exhaust sound. Really...
I love the tach and clock pods...and I am jealous of Jetfuels boost gauge-pod :p
I love the transmission. Its nice to be able to shift a real manual transmission, but also have the leisure to drive auto if I am feeling lazy. Its one of the greatest benefits of the car, and yet he most misunderstood.
I love the mileage. Sure beats my Jeeps 11 MPG.

What I want. More power...I want a 0-60 time of 5 to 6 seconds. I would gladly sign a wavier stating the dangerous nature of a short wheel base car coupled with a high horse power motor. Of course mileage could suffer...but then again, a turbo diesel could deliver on both fronts.

I love this car enough, I wish I could afford a cabrio...or, if I could do it again. I would get a passion ED and a cabrio ICE.

·
17,350 Posts
That's the odd thing too. I was approved for just about any lease I wanted. If could do it all again, I'd go cabriolet without even thinking.

Not that there's anything wrong with the coupe, that panoramic roof is stellar! And mine is still craze free so far. I never close the sunshade, that could have something to do with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's the odd thing too. I was approved for just about any lease I wanted. If could do it all again, I'd go cabriolet without even thinking.

Not that there's anything wrong with the coupe, that panoramic roof is stellar! And mine is still craze free so far. I never close the sunshade, that could have something to do with it.

I bought mine as a work commuter. I never had any intent of actually falling in love with the car.

I see the coupe ED as making the most sense. Driven daily, better mpge, less chance of someone getting into the car with a knife by slashing the cabrio fabric.

I see the cabriolet as a good ICE car. Weekend outings, longer distance for exploring, fun of the convertible.

Gah...the more I think about it, the more I need to find money for this setup. It just makes the most sense.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I bought mine as a work commuter. I never had any intent of actually falling in love with the car.

I see the coupe ED as making the most sense. Driven daily, better mpge, less chance of someone getting into the car with a knife by slashing the cabrio fabric.

I see the cabriolet as a good ICE car. Weekend outings, longer distance for exploring, fun of the convertible.

Gah...the more I think about it, the more I need to find money for this setup. It just makes the most sense.
I hope you take yours out on a long road trip. The heck with the stereotypes, get this thing out on the open highway!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hope you take yours out on a long road trip. The heck with the stereotypes, get this thing out on the open highway!

I have taken mine on some descent trips. I just would not do that in an ED.

If I had the money to do it all over again. I would buy an ED coupe for work commuting and an I.C.E. cabrio for fun and weekends trips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If they want to break into your PLASTIC car, they will.

Life is too short, live a little... :)

You sound like a co worker. She is the exact opposite of me. Spontaneous, careless, puts little thought into the future. I can appreciate some attributes in this form of lifestyle, but my calculating and careful planning has never left me with "surprises". If I had money to be carefree and not worry..sure, but when I have to budget due to the stupidly high cost of home ownership/rental in los angeles...I can't take the chance of having a surprise 500.00 deductible to get a car fixed. Granted, the coupe can be broken into as much as a cabrio..but I am betting its harder to do for the average random thief and therefore a deterrent and therefore less likely.

I get the whole "live a little" thing from everyone I know. But when the day comes, and they are in pain from some snow boarding accident, or left with some random huge bill because they broke something...and that "experience" is nothing more than a memory soon to be lost with the rest of the memories...I get to pull out the old "I told ya so" and sail off into the sunset to live another day, with some money in my pocket and an solid upright strut.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the OP, you can have the A and B-Class from your nearest Mercedes dealer - but they probably won't be the cars you're looking for. The CLA is a four door sedan, not the five door hatchback version sold in Europe. The B-Class is the same body style as in the EU, but we only get it as an electric drive version. :(
Yeah, I wish Mercedes was bringing over the A-Class hatchback along with the CLA. I've seen them in person in Paris and think they'd be perfect for my needs. Much better rear head-room than the CLA.
I would buy the B-Class in a heartbeat if it had a gas or diesel engine, but it's electric only here in California. Although I love the idea of an electric vehicle, it's just not practical for me where I live. I'm upside down in a condo :eek: with a very narrow parking space between 2 columns. There is nowhere to install an electric charger and I'd have to get a change in the CCRs anyway to do it. :(

The Smart has been the first hatchback I've owned and now I'm hooked! The A-Class would fit in my spot. I think the GLA (when it comes out) will be too wide for my parking spot and I really don't like SUVs anyway. A ForFour Smart would be perfect, but I was just reading yesterday MB is hesitating on bringing the car to the USA. They also haven't developed a diesel motor for Europe for the next generation. Ugh! So, it looks like my next vehicle is gonna be a choice between a VW Golf/GTI and the CLA. Good thing my Smart only has 27,000 miles! Don't have to make that decision for years!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm guessing not much of a Bucket List for you?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nope. I am happy being with friends, drinking a cup of tea and engaging in solid conversations.

Mind you, it's not that I don't want to see and explore the world and experience things, it's that I have never had the money to do so, and life has taught me I will most likely never have the money to do so. Because the world as we know it requires more to live, I have to spend wisely. Now, when I lived in Texas where it was cheaper and I was making close to the same amount as I am now (and I often consider going back) I was a bit more risky.

I have learned to be content (for the most part) with what I have. Spending 5k on something tangible like a new couch and chair, or a camping trailer for the smart makes more sense to me than spending 5k on a Disney vacation, or a trip to Hawaii or something. Its not that I don't want to take that cool vacation, but after a week is up, 5k is spent and all I have left is a memory, which serves me nothing but the desire to want more. If I spend it on a couch/chair, I now have something to come home to every night that helps aid in my relaxation efforts.

There is something to be said about a well decorated, clean, empowering home.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts