Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My short list of what I want (or wish for):

A high-mileage, common-rail, turbo-diesel. Nope, ain’t going to happen in the U.S. on a car as small as a smart for a long, long time, or until there is a different paradigm (relaxation) in U.S. regulations. I know why; I have studied the reasons.

The option of deleting the paddle shifters. I have enough seat-time in open-wheelers with them, and in that application they are necessary (no ****pit room for anything else). But they are an unnecessary complication (affectation) in a smart.

An option for a different lower bumper piece that gets rid of the trite “smiley-face” grille. I have a serious intent for the vehicle, and it does not include “cuteness” and "look at me-ness." This ultimately may be the most do-able, and by after-marketeers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The option of deleting the paddle shifters. I have enough seat-time in open-wheelers with them, and in that application they are necessary (no ****pit room for anything else). But they are an unnecessary complication (affectation) in a smart.
Personally, I'd be happy to do without the paddle shifters and the fully automated gearbox mode (aka softouch).

PS: I think the censor was unnecessarily harsh on you! :)

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I think the paddle shifters will be okay (I haven't tried them of course!) To me, if you're going to have this manual mode, might as well do it at the steering wheel. As a manual gear shift guy for 30 years, I think the +/- gear shift thingy is blasphemy! (I'd be forever smashing my left foot into the floor board!) And of course, it you don't use the paddle shifters.....no fuss, it'll just be like the turn signal stalk that so many Americans can't be bothered to use anyway!:rolleyes:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
My short list of what I want (or wish for):

A high-mileage, common-rail, turbo-diesel. Nope, ain’t going to happen in the U.S. on a car as small as a smart for a long, long time, or until there is a different paradigm (relaxation) in U.S. regulations. I know why; I have studied the reasons.
Unfortunately, all true.

A simple manual transmission (with clutch) would be far more in keeping with the concept of the Smart.

An option for a different lower bumper piece that gets rid of the trite “smiley-face” grille. I have a serious intent for the vehicle, and it does not include “cuteness” and "look at me-ness." This ultimately may be the most do-able, and by after-marketeers.
For my purposes, I would agree. Since my wife will be the primary driver, however, cute is mandatory.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Those are reasons why I'm staying with the "Pure". Don't need paddles, or power windows. I prefer the solid roof over the acrylic or whatever that is. I can get the A/C and a radio/CD options and have a true economy car. I like sporty rims and can get what I like later and cheaper than factory wheels.

I'm curious about performance enhancments. Can I add, a header, hi-flo catalytic, cold air intake and lower restrictive exhaust. This can inprove mileage and horsepower. Anyone have experience with this on a Smarty?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beware of overly open exhaust systems. If not properly designed thay can have a negative impact on torque. A properly engineered system for the particular engine will show benefits, with the downside of some additional noise. But a generic, off-the-shelf lashup will probably just get you noise and a peaky power curve. And there is a balance between what goes in and what comes out to be maintained.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the paddle shifters will be okay (I haven't tried them of course!) To me, if you're going to have this manual mode, might as well do it at the steering wheel. As a manual gear shift guy for 30 years, I think the +/- gear shift thingy is blasphemy! (I'd be forever smashing my left foot into the floor board!) And of course, it you don't use the paddle shifters.....no fuss, it'll just be like the turn signal stalk that so many Americans can't be bothered to use anyway!:rolleyes:
Sequential (+/-) hand shifters are also commonly used in some open wheel classes; nothing terribly exotic there. If you want to really have a strange shifting experience try a Deutsch-Bonnet Panhard with the "H" pattern turned sideways, or a Citroen 2CV with the shift lever a push-pull, rotate right-left, rod extending through the dashboard!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Beware of overly open exhaust systems. If not properly designed thay can have a negative impact on torque. A properly engineered system for the particular engine will show benefits, with the downside of some additional noise. But a generic, off-the-shelf lashup will probably just get you noise and a peaky power curve. And there is a balance between what goes in and what comes out to be maintained.
Right on, Fish. I would only go for mods designed for this car/engine. I put a few items on my Neon R/T and got my advice from NeonSpeed.com.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I changed jobs, and no longer require high mileage travel, my fuel economy went from 20 mpg in my Volvo to 14-16. I want a about town commuter for hauling one kid or the other to/from whatever. If by myself I want to cruise to San Diego along I-5 (no, I do not need to be in the fast lane) but would like my sanity and hearing as it is when commuting in my Volvo. I want more than 40 mpg and get up to 65 mph in 16 seconds even on a uphill slant as an 18 wheeler is barreling up I-5 as well. I want auto on/auto off for when sitting at long Blvd lights in Orange Co. I do not want Black interior, but as my Dad says, I have been spoiled by my Volvo and a non-EPS Smart would be like buying a Non-self propelled lawn mower. Lawn mowers are small also. OK I do not have Barney Rubble this car along But has anyone tested the non-EPS vs the EPS version at the City Tour stops?????

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
SmartBob the other thing to consider in you stated desires... considering you lead in with wanting an economical minimalist approach... Is the cost of the "tuned" intake/exhaust vs. any return in increased HP, torque, and fuel efficiency

I have seen some of the exceptionally well balanced total tune systems in Europe for these dinky motors. They do work well and can be tuned to be fairly broad banded... Unfortunately they do not dramatically increase the fuel efficiency so you can never recoup the $1800~$3200 costs. Another down side is the weak link with the clutch and tranny.... beefing up the innards gets pricey in a hurry

I am thinking an occasional shot of NOS might be fun but trying to up these things to the 100HP range is going to get expensive....but I am sure more then a few of us will do it just for the bragging rights :D

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something Else I Want

This is a real dream!

I want smart GmbH to buy out a decommissioned auto assembly plant in the U.S. and take over supplying the North American smarts to our specs, and disencumber with Europe. Mitsubishi engines can be built here on license or just shipped trans-Pacific in little boxes. Everybody can come up with Getrag transmissions, even Harley-Davidson.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts