1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an e-mail from smart today
smart goes green for St. Patricks Day!

In the email it has this
2011 smart fortwo pure coupe: starting at $10,990*....

*Starting at price is based on 2011 smart fortwo pure coupe equipped with air conditioning. MSRP $13,230 less $2,240 Value Leader Discount. Excludes tax, title, license, destination and other dealer fees.
So the question is, What is this big discount they speak of that makes the smart one of the lowest cost cars on the road new

And the links in the e-mail send me here
smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

·
Registered
776 Posts
I used to work for one of the big US automakers, so I'm going to throw out what i believe is the thinking here. If the car was sold with an msrp of $10,990 the general public would have the impression that the car was "cheap". So the msrp is marked up, and then they "give away" a $2,420 "discount". Suddenly the buyer's perception is that the car is a great "value". It's all about making the buyer think that they are getting more.

My old employer used to give incentives like that all the time and come up with unique names for it.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Once you get there they'll have just sold the car advertised. Of course you can check out this other car that is just "slightly" more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Value Leader discount is an additional $750 off the MSRP if you get the pure with A/C only.
They have a $1500 discount/rebate in play already...the additional bucks off is so smartUSA can call the smart a value leader...and everyone in the USA should go to their smart dealer (if they can find one) and buy this tremendous value.
Best value in a new, small car.
I should not even be writing this, because everyone who got the e-mail and is in this forum is already waiting in line to buy this tremendous value...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats where the "price point" of .99cents came from. You think it is better to put .99 rather than round off a price.
Make you think it is a better price...Yes, like most people are that dumb!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts