Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Cabriolet 32000 miles. Odd noise that occurs particularly when accelerating and braking. Sounds like something is loose, as though battery was moving back and forth. Not the battery, it's tight. Replaced cold air filter - no change in sound. Hard to pinpoint location of sound. Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Something moving in a Cabrio... I may be wrong, but I figured it was worth a shot.

* I'd check the roof rails for movement or the doors for tightness.
* If the rails were off, I'd even say check the compartment in the boot that they sit in.
* Another thing I would consider is the metal engine cover under the carpet in the boot. If the little key latch is broken, the lid may be loose.
* Is the Cabrio top securely latched to the boot? Maybe it's just hopping up a bit?
* Check the other stuff in the footwell, like the battery charger and flat repair goo. I might take it all out for a quick drive just to eliminate it as suspect.

Hope someone has more insight than I do! A location or idea of one would help eliminate a good list of stuff. (Best of luck; rattles and noises drive me crazy!) Accelerating and braking is a good clue - means something is shifting or moving around front to back but not side to side. Eliminates door rattles anyway.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
My jack must feel forgotten in the tailgate (no need for it!) so it makes noises sometime. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top and doors OK. This is a little strange, but just after I turned off engine I heard noise that seemed to come from dash cluster.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Top and doors OK. This is a little strange, but just after I turned off engine I heard noise that seemed to come from dash cluster.
Up under the dash most likely; I'd doubt something is coming from the cluster itself - however, a bug decided to die right on the bottom of my gauge cluster behind the lexan :mad:...

I'd say it's somewhere in the dash or the front end. Do you have an aftermarket radio that would have something dangling off the back of it? I'm just about as stumped as you!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Have you changed the brake pads?
The proper high temp. lubricant must be applied to the backing plate and tabs or they stick and clunk especially when the disc is rusty from rain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for replies. Noise has disappeared - for now. Suspect dirty fresh air filter might have been culprit. After changing to clean one noise slowly went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts