Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I need to know what is the difference between left hand drive and right hand drive headlights?
Could I install LHD headlights in a RHD smart 451 car ?
Because I ordered by mistake a pair of Brabus exclusiv headlights but for Left Hand Drive instead of Right Hand Drive and I am in Mexico, here is RHD like USA, I saw images of the both headlights of the back part and only see little difference in the location of the connector(s), but also don't know if maybe I could need coding or something else that maybe couldn´t install them in my Smart 451.
Only the problem will be the direction of the light in the night ?

I am sad because they cost a lot of money and I couldn't cancel them in the MB shop because they are already confirmed for shipping.

What could be the big problem to install a LHD headlights in a RHD car ?, I don´t have them yet, but want to know if I could install them in my car.

In the images the one with the orange wall is the Brabus headlight for LHD.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
The left hand drive refers to the driver's location, so left hand drive lights are correct for cars in Mexico. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The left hand drive refers to the driver's location, so left hand drive lights are correct for cars in Mexico. :)
Hi bro yes I know hehe, but for mistake (and I can´t cancel it now) I ordered the other ones for RHD, I don´t have them yet, but want to know if I could install them in my car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The problem that you are going to have installing RHD headlamps assemblies on a LHD car is that the lowbeams will illuminate the lane to your left instead of lighting up the area to your right. I think they also might be missing the sidemarker reflector as well, but not sure about this.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The previous poster is correct. The beam pattern is completely different between lhd and rhd headlights. Easier to see on an old school 6012 or 6014 7 inch round headlight as used in many a 60s or 70s car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts