Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to take my smart on small camping trips. I have a truck bed camper/trailer I am using. I won't be camping out of a 50-mile radius. Will it be too much?

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
17 Posts
There are stories of people on here towing 1,000+ lbs. I would look at those forum posts for some more information.

Here's one I found

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
If you're using a 451, I'd say 1,600 pounds is your maximum load. A few years ago I did a torture test of sorts to see what kind of towing a smart could do. I got it up to 1,700 pounds on some trips carrying motorcycles or moving out entire apartments. Did this testing for about 15,000 miles and the car did great.

1,600 pounds can be rough on the car if you push it too hard. Avoid hill starts and keep speeds no greater than 60 mph. Lastly, drive it like a truck. Keep long following distances and do long brake runs.

NOW! I'm not the police, a lawyer, or an insurance company. These cars were never approved for towing, so if you get into a crash you could face a legal mess. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
I'm just going to say... It's not worth it - if you need a trailer to camp, find a better solution.
In today's litigious world, I can't agree more with, "legal mess" regardless of fault.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts