Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aspiring auto DIY'er here,
After successfully changed the motor oil and oil filter last month (no leaks, so far...), I am ready for another challenge.
I am planning to change the spark plugs of my 2016 Smart 453 (or at least learn how to take it out, inspect it AND put it back).
Here are couple questions I have before starting:
  • Is "NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug 91121" the correct spark plug for this engine?
  • Any difference from the Smart part: A2811590003? Should I order from MB dealer instead, just to be safe?
  • Do you need any special tool to remove the spark plug?
  • Any helpful hints from "been there, done that" people?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
NGK iridium plug is the way to go. Changed my 2016 plugs couple thousand miles ago. Ordered from Advance Auto. Why order exact same plug from dealer and pay more? I have used anti seize coating on plugs for decades. My factory plugs were iridium. Watched the video of the guy in Germany changing plugs in his 453. The O.E. plugs were regular, not iridium. Interesting!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the anti-seize suggestion and links to the spark-plugs.
For some reason, Advanced Auto Parts web site is not working right now. Will try again later.
Based on what I watched on Youtube, the process seems pretty straight forward. :)
But why is this spark plug so hard to find?
Are there any compatible brands I can buy instead?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks for the anti-seize suggestion and links to the spark-plugs.
For some reason, Advanced Auto Parts web site is not working right now. Will try again later.
Based on what I watched on Youtube, the process seems pretty straight forward. :)
But why is this spark plug so hard to find?
Are there any compatible brands I can buy instead?
Plugs for the smart 453 are apparently not used in any other or many other cars so they will not be stocked by most auto supply stores. I either order online or go into the store to order, then pick them up later when they come in from either the warehouse or from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plot thickens... and the searches go on...

After calling AdvancedAutoParts and AutoZone on the phone and searching their web sites, nobody seems to have these spark plugs available for order.
At least AutoZone listed it as "Part Number: 91121" with "Alternate Part Number: ILKAR7J7G"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amazon

Either that or wait for Rock Auto to get them in stock...
Good find! I am pretty sure I search Amazon before and found nothing. It turns out that searching with "NGK laser iridium spark plug ILKAR7J7G" will NOT find it. But searching with "NGK ILKAR7J7G Spark Plug" will.
Selling at $18.48 a piece plus shipping on Amazon, it is quite expensive but still cheaper than quoted dealer price here at $37.50 a piece plus tax...

Thank you everyone and good luck to other Smart Fortwo 453 with 0.9L Turbo engine owners

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just ordered 3 - they come from the UK in about 10 days - $60 plus tax.
Probably a good thing to put aside for ~60k miles since 2018 was the last year ICE 453s were made.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI:
Just tried to inspect the spark plugs today, apparently, for 453 ICE engine, the regular 5/8" spark plug socket is too "fat" and would not go all the way in to remove the spark plug.
Sigh...need to buy more tools

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
FYI:
Just tried to inspect the spark plugs today, apparently, for 453 ICE engine, the regular 5/8" spark plug socket is too "fat" and would not go all the way in to remove the spark plug.
Sigh...need to buy more tools
Yep, need a slim spark plug socket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, need a slim spark plug socket.
Do you have any URL link for that? How do I know it will fit based on their catalog descriptions?
Obviously, the "standard" spark plug socket from US auto parts stores will never fit.
I just bought this Spark Plug Socket from AutoZone and it does not fit at all. :(

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Do you have any URL link for that? How do I know it will fit based on their catalog descriptions?
Obviously, the "standard" spark plug socket from US auto parts stores will never fit.
I just bought this Spark Plug Socket from AutoZone and it does not fit at all. :(
Bought mine in an Auto Zone store. Just looked for the thinnest they had.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts