Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Note to other 453 with 0.9L Turbo engine: If the OD of your spark plug socket, thin wall or not, is 22mm, It WILL NOT FIT into that little opening for the spark plug.

I am surprised that no one mentioned this before: All 5/8in (which is 15.875mm, by the way) spark plug sockets I have checked are 22mm OD, therefore will not fit.

I begin to suspect the size of our spark plugs may be 14mm instead of 16mm.
I will wait for my spark plug order to arrive and will report back then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Note to other 453 with 0.9L Turbo engine: If the OD of your spark plug socket, thin wall or not, is 22mm, It WILL NOT FIT into that little opening for the spark plug.

I am surprised that no one mentioned this before: All 5/8in (which is 15.875mm, by the way) spark plug sockets I have checked are 22mm OD, therefore will not fit.

I begin to suspect the size of our spark plugs may be 14mm instead of 16mm.
I will wait for my spark plug order to arrive and will report back then.
Yes, ILKAR7J7G is 14mm. So I will need a 14mm spark plug socket!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are the "Product attributes" that I found online for ILKAR7J7G :
Center Electrode Core Material: Copper Core
Center Electrode Tip Material: Iridium
Electrical Terminal Type: Non-Removable Nut
Ground Configuration: Standard
Ground Electrode Core Material: Nickel Core
Ground Electrode Quantity: 1
Ground Electrode Tip Design: Standard
Hex Size: 14 mm
Insulator Height: 51.00 mm
Manufacturer Heat Range: 7
Pre-Gap Size: .028 in
Reach: 26.5 mm
Resistance: 5000 Ohms
Resistor Type: Yes
Seat Type: Flat
Thread Diameter: 12.00 mm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, my spark plug changing adventure had a false start and have to put on pause now because I have to order a correct sized spark plug socket first.
But I do have a picture of the coil that is currently on my 453, just in case someone is as curious as I am.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My mail ordered spark plugs and tool arrived couple weeks ago and I finally find the time to finish this job.

Access to the spark plugs is easy. You will need a 8mm socket to remove the bolts that hold the coil in place.

Removed and replaced the old spark plugs with the 14mm spark plug socket (you will also need a socket extension, 6 inch is more than enough).
The plastic plugs are easy to remove too, just press down on the tab and pull it out.

By the way, anyone knows how to "read" the condition of a used spark plug? Here is my old spark plug. It looks fine (to me). But I replace it anyway as I do not know how long it has been in there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
21 - 30 of 30 Posts