Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first 30,000 of these cars are pre-sold. All the dealers need are order takers.

There will be perks for sales of extended warranties and some add on $$ for extra goodies, but no big pay off for pro car sales types. I see long tables staffed by order takers just running through the line.

This first call to order is, as others have said, just to test the system. After the first 300 are run through it will be curtailed, and the dealer order takers will take over from there. The first call we get will be from the dealer.

At the price these cars are being sold (a steal) there is no room for wasted sales expense.

Just my thoughts.
A2jack

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
They Best Do It Right

From all that I have read, the success of the smart in the U.S. market is key to its future existence. The car hasn

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing it right.

Fishrdnc.

I agree, the tension has been built up enough. Time is of the essence here.
These orders must be booked, cash handed over, and the ships sailing in loaded with US cars.

So far, as the Canadian experence shows, the weak link is the poor service and attitude of the MB dealers. I don't know what the mix of dealers will be here, but if it's heavy on MB dealers, I see problems.

Going to be fun to watch! :D
A2jack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If there are any brains at all between PAG and M-B, they will be going out of their way to see to it that things go right
Man, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure these guys know that were (Americans) are picky when it comes to customer service and that we're definetly not afraid to voice our complaints. At least I'm not.:cool:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
From what I'm seeing the MB dealers are anxious to get Smart Cars in their stable. If the media pumps it up like I know American media will...that traffic will also be treading on MB soil and giving them collateral exposure. At this juncture of high gas prices it could help to fill the void till "standard" cars get back on the Eco track, size down the SUVs to Crossovers and get more gas mizers on their showroom floors. That must back it up with service if they want the product to succeed.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
From what I'm seeing the MB dealers are anxious to get Smart Cars in their stable. If the media pumps it up like I know American media will...that traffic will also be treading on MB soil and giving them collateral exposure. At this juncture of high gas prices it could help to fill the void till "standard" cars get back on the Eco track, size down the SUVs to Crossovers and get more gas mizers on their showroom floors. They must back it up with service if they want the product to succeed.

In addition, the salesman must be polite, cordial, encouraging, knowledgable, expeditious, attentive... etc. The product can sell itself but a bad salesman can lose the deal just as easily. Like A2Jack says....It's going to be fun to watch. :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
so which is it, a fleet of order takers (think McDonald's drive thru asking you if you'd like to super size your smart with accessories and to pull up to the window) or a MB salesperson type in their shirt and tie who looks you up and down when you walk in the door? personally the only thing worse than the car buying experience is going to the dentist... i hope this time its different!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Personally, if the entire order process can be completed without my having to see the inside of the dealer's showroom, I will be extremely happy (and would represent a giant step forward in the car buying experience).

Usually, whenever I leave a car dealership I have an overwhelming urge to immediately go home and shower....

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
From what I'm seeing the MB dealers are anxious to get Smart Cars in their stable. If the media pumps it up like I know American media will...that traffic will also be treading on MB soil and giving them collateral exposure....

Except for out MB dealer. When asked if MB here in town was going to be a Smart Car dealer, he said "we thought about, but in the end didn't think selling 5 -10 cars per month would warrant the electricity in the showroom". But now that another independent dealer will pick up the Smart, I just can't wait to see them flying out of the other dealer like hotcakes, leaving MB with syrup on their chins.:p

Usually, whenever I leave a car dealership I have an overwhelming urge to immediately go home and shower....
Of course all dealers don't have to be that bad....a good product sells itself, allowing the salesperson to be low key. Buying (and servicing) my MINI has been nothing but a joy!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts