Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this single panel-mount style diffused LED after I bought this car. I havent seen it illuminate yet. It's in the dash fabric to the right of the gauage cluster. I thought it was for the antitheft alarm, but I'm currently in a staring contest with it and it's not blinking.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

· Registered
1,140 Posts
I noticed the unit doesn't seem to be plugged into the throttle peddle harness. Does that negate the functionality of the entire unit, or just the "SpeedBoost" throttle response feature?
It would need to be plugged into the peddle and the display to work properly. If it was working properly, the LED would cycle on initial startup (red/green/yellow).

I had one of these in my 2008 ICE smart back in the day. Very handy for longer trips. It also has a speed limiter capability as well. What likely happened is someone didn't know what it was, or how to operate it, and disconnected it from the system.

Be sure to check out the documentation on it (and videos), and make sure the switches on the board are set properly for operation as well. It's a rather nice gadget to have if you have any trip that over 20 or 30 minutes on a highway.

If you can't find a manual, DM me and I'll hunt through my archives. I know I have an English version somewhere.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would need to be plugged into the peddle and the display to work properly. If it was working properly, the LED would cycle on initial startup (red/green/yellow).

I had one of these in my 2008 ICE smart back in the day. Very handy for longer trips. It also has a speed limiter capability as well. What likely happened is someone didn't know what it was, or how to operate it, and disconnected it from the system.

Be sure to check out the documentation on it (and videos), and make sure the switches on the board are set properly for operation as well. It's a rather nice gadget to have if you have any trip that over 20 or 30 minutes on a highway.

If you can't find a manual, DM me and I'll hunt through my archives. I know I have an English version somewhere.
That sounds neat. But mine looks a bit different from other pictures I've seen and doesn't seem to have those dip-switches. I didn't check the underside of the board though. I'd also need to source a spare peddle connector since the box's one got needlessly cut before I found it.

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,194 Posts
Kind of sad that the 451s had a choice of EITHER paddle shifters OR cruise.
For early adopters, CC was not a choice. MY08 required aftermarket MDC (smart madness) or Area 451 (SmartieParts).

Appears that OP has an aftermarket MDC CC which had an optional red grain of wheat bulb for the dash.

True that a couple years into the N.A. 451 production run Factory CC was made available.

Wiring harness limitations required that you choose from either shift paddles or CC as both could not be accommodated.

· Registered
26 Posts
Wiring harness limitations required that you choose from either shift paddles or CC as both could not be accommodated.
Hi,

that's weird and must be a north american thing - here in Europe we always have had to opt for paddle shifting with the three spoke steering wheel - after the introduction of factory CC option, it always came with paddle shifting because the steering wheel has to be the three spoke one with paddles.

cheers
Marc

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've decided I might actually like to try the cruse control function. If it wasn't clear in the earlier pic, the throttle pedal cable that comes off the module was clipped. The connector itself is missing. In order to fix that, I need one of these connectors which I believe is part of the main wire harness. Does any one have any sources or specs on this connector in question?

Line Font Tool Cable Electronic component

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stopped my local scrap yard and pulled a throttle pedal wire from a 2009 Mercedes-Benz C-Class. It looks similar to the 451's (pic below).

Circuit component Dvi cable Cable Rectangle Electric blue

I plan to splice it into the cruise control module (since mine got clipped). But I'm curious now as to why my module was crudely put out of service. Any guesses?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Coincidentally, the people I bought this car from contacted me yesterday to give me the original non-cruse-control stalk, and other parts from the aftermarket cruse control install they found. They were aware of the disabled cruse control unit. The original owner before them had a mechanic both installed it, and uninstalled it. Apparently it was causing an "intermittent issue", but they don't know anything beyond that. The original owner replaced the throttle peddle in an effort to fix said issue to no avail.

What could this "intermittent issue" be? What are the failure modes of the aftermarket unit? Hopefully not dangerous loss of throttle control. Perhaps the original owner unaware of "improved throttle response" feature?

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
When the cruise control modules go bad they can cause some weird issues:

Some time ago, someone here or on one of the Facebook groups reported an issue where the car didn't always respond to pedal input. Sometimes they hit the gas on a green light and the car didn't go anywhere. Turns out, a faulty aftermarket cruise control was occasionally killing communication from the pedal. Thankfully, it seems the failure mode of the pedal is no input rather than full throttle or something.

Edit: Found the thread

1 - 20 of 20 Posts