Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately i've been starting out with 60-63 miles and thats with semi-aggressive driving, mainly city and a little freeway. But i usually drive around with Volt miles and just charge halfway up a little more frequently instead of full charges every couple days.

What numbers are you guys getting?

EDIT:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lately i've been starting out with 60-63 miles and thats with semi-aggressive driving, mainly city and a little freeway. But i usually drive around with Volt miles and just charge halfway up a little more frequently instead of full charges every couple days.

What numbers are you guys getting?
I'm getting about 40 miles with 70% left with 20% ~ 30% very aggressive driving.
Based on those numbers I'd calculate that I'm very lucky to get about 50 more miles with at lease 20% ~ 30% charge left. I don't use anything on the car by the way (heater, radio, heated seats, etc.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
My daily commute is about 30 miles highway plus 12 miles non-highway. In the summer, with outside temps at 70F or higher, at highway speeds up to 65mph, depending on traffic, with the top down, I was getting about 74 miles range. If I limited my highway speed to 55mph, I got about 84 miles range.

Temps now are running in the 30-40F range, and I'm now getting a range of 54-64 miles with the top up and heat on with a setting of 70. I modulate my speed, and use of heat, on the highway to keep the range above 54 miles so that SOC % on getting home is 20% or higher.

If temps get much lower, so will my speed on the highway and use of heat and the SOC level when I get home.

If temps are above 40F, I can drive without thinking of range limitations. Below that, I have to watch the meters more closely as I drive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If I drive in the FWY early in the morning I get faster to my job but is a longer route and more consumption of electricity. If I drive by the streets it is a shorter route but I have to stop a gazillion times. Driving very slow in the streets I probably get on the 100 miles range; but who wants to drive like a granma? I'm OK even if I get 68 miles per charge. My commute is 33 miles a day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My daily commute is about 30 miles highway plus 12 miles non-highway. In the summer, with outside temps at 70F or higher, at highway speeds up to 65mph, depending on traffic, with the top down, I was getting about 74 miles range. If I limited my highway speed to 55mph, I got about 84 miles range.

Temps now are running in the 30-40F range, and I'm now getting a range of 54-64 miles with the top up and heat on with a setting of 70. I modulate my speed, and use of heat, on the highway to keep the range above 54 miles so that SOC % on getting home is 20% or higher.

If temps get much lower, so will my speed on the highway and use of heat and the SOC level when I get home.

If temps are above 40F, I can drive without thinking of range limitations. Below that, I have to watch the meters more closely as I drive.
I can pretty much DITTO this entire statement. 40 degrees is about that point when the battery usage changes. Although I have been getting decent mileage lately in the 30s but that is because I am driving normal (speed limits). This morning I got to work (22 miles) with 71% left. It was 32 degrees when we left the house. That works out to about 7 miles per 10% SOC. That is about my average in the summer except in the summer we drive it like we stole it. :burnout:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
On a couple occasions I did mostly freeway driving between 55 and 75 mph, did 65 miles and end up with 20% SOC left in the battery.

I don't believe I can duplicate those results on really cold days. Even without heater use, the battery seems to have noticeably less range on cold days below 40 degrees.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
I've been getting about 52-60 miles so far with mostly efficient driving n cruising at 70mph on freeway. I'm sure if I cruise at 60 on hwy n more gentle acceleration then my range would increase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts