Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but i have a rule in my ED... No one is allowed to beat me off the line... (except Tesla's). :D

So i usually accelerate away at the front of a light whenever i get the opportunity, especially if im up against something. :RS-c.gl.zw:

During these "occasions" numerous types of cars have also been at the front of the light next to me, BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes, Porsche's, Bentley's, Mustang's, Charger's, Camaro's, Infiniti's, other Smarts, Ricer's, Police Motorcycles... just to name a few :wink:

And frankly i've embarrassed just about every type of car. People really don't know how quick the ED is, its performance is underrated. Im sure i've surprised a lot of people.

I have so many memories of "drag races" against other people in nice/high performance cars, and their reactions are mixed and priceless. :eek: Also have received compliments/positive remarks from the other guys in the cars after the accelerations. :cool:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't challenge anyone in my ED.
yeah, it has a lot of torque, but it's not a race car.

Besides, how do you rev the motor to challenge them? LOL
My last Mustang-509hp-would not find my ED to be much of a challenge.

I just don't see the point. Maybe challenge them to a MPG contest.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I too take every opportunity to spank people that try to beat me off the line or especially try to pass me. I have not only surprised many but I am sure have changed their stereotypical views of the Smart's.

I actually had a person literally cut me off on a highway by diving in between me and the car in front of me when there was barely enough room for him. Once he got around the semi truck that he was originally behind, he cut back over and took off because I was honking and riding his ass. Well he thought he could get away easily in his Acura. To his surprise I rode his ass halfway up the hill until he finally got freaked out and pulled off the side of the road holding his hands up in the air making the gestures like "what did I do?" as I flew by him. He was on his best behavior the rest of the way. HAHAHA

These things definitely surprise people.

·
17,346 Posts
Bugatti Veyron and a Lamborghini Countach...

Okay...I was beating them until they got to the on ramp of the expressway... :D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't know about you guys but i have a rule in my ED... No one is allowed to beat me off the line... (except Tesla's). :D
BUT, no matter how badly you "smoked them" those "BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes, Porsche's, Bentley's, Mustang's, Charger's, Camaro's, Infiniti's, other Smarts, Ricer's, Police Motorcycles" will leave you at the side of the road dead at around the 75 mile RANGE . . . :wink:

That too is "priceless" . . . :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't challenge anyone in my ED.
yeah, it has a lot of torque, but it's not a race car.

Besides, how do you rev the motor to challenge them? LOL
My last Mustang-509hp-would not find my ED to be much of a challenge.

I just don't see the point. Maybe challenge them to a MPG contest.
LOL. yeah not much of a challenge to a 500hp car.

My reasons are because I am not going to put up with peoples crap anymore. They like to try and push us around in the Smart. Also people instantly try to go around me no matter how fast I am going. They just cannot stand driving behind a Smart. Well I don't let them get around me just because they can't drive behind a Smart. I am changing their views one driver at a time :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BUT, no matter how badly you "smoked them" those "BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes, Porsche's, Bentley's, Mustang's, Charger's, Camaro's, Infiniti's, other Smarts, Ricer's, Police Motorcycles" will leave you at the side of the road dead at around the 75 mile marker . . . :wink:

That too is "priceless" . . .

It actually wouldn't because top speed is worthless and irrelevant anywhere but a race track or the autobahn as there are speed limits in the real world. Which is why electric cars completely dominate. Acceleration is what matters.

LOL. yeah not much of a challenge to a 500hp car.

My reasons are because I am not going to put up with peoples crap anymore. They like to try and push us around in the Smart. Also people instantly try to go around me no matter how fast I am going. They just cannot stand driving behind a Smart. Well I don't let them get around me just because they can't drive behind a Smart. I am changing their views one driver at a time :cool:

People also don't like a smart leaving them in the dust, as i've witnessed many cars speed by me after i've done so lol. Many ego's have been hurt. :pimp:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It actually wouldn't because top speed is worthless and irrelevant anywhere but a race track or the autobahn as there are speed limits in the real world. Which is why electric cars completely dominate. Acceleration is what matters.
BUT, I wasn't talking about "top speed."

I was talking about Ed's 75 mile range! You may be fast out of the gate but my ICE has staying power - different strokes for different folks.

Pity the new Ed owner whose daily commute is near that ragged edge of THE RANGE and has yet to live with the potential negative impact of winter weather. :eek:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
From a standing start, any electric drive will have an advantage over an ICE (Infernal Combustion Engine).

Electric motors have 100% torque at 0rpm. As soon as you apply power, they are gone.

·
17,346 Posts
Yes, but the Electric Drive is no Tesla. You'll get a head start and then get promptly stomped by the competition.

That is, unless you're racing a rice burner, beater, or anything larger than a Ford F-250...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pity the new Ed owner whose daily commute is near that ragged edge of THE RANGE and has yet to live with the potential negative impact of winter weather. :eek:
I am not too concerned. Once I work through the issues with the car I am sure I will be fine. Just a big learning curve. 45 miles isn't really the ragged edge but I am just hoping I will not dip into the <20% range on a regular basis. All in all, I love the car.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
From a standing start, any electric drive will have an advantage over an ICE (Infernal Combustion Engine).

Electric motors have 100% torque at 0rpm. As soon as you apply power, they are gone.
Yeah, I wont one of demdere "Infernal" engines....:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I certainly have surprised more than one driver by the acceleration of the ED, but I find that there are two sides to every situation. Some people are genuinely amazed, others are angered. I'd rather not collide with anyone, as much as I an aware that I am likely to be safe in the tridion cell.

The other issue is that although I know that the external color of my Smart is bright white, I still seem to surprise a number of truck drivers (not just tractor trailer). They seem to think that I appear out of nowhere. I own a 5.3L V8 truck and I can understand how it might be less easy to see a tiny Smart.

In the first 9 days of ownership I have nearly collided with at least 4 trucks, because they did not see me. I've even had a FedEx truck driver flip me off and then deliberately drift into my lane forcing me to slow down and fall back. I'm not a confrontational person by nature, so the racing factor is not in me.

Knowing that I can race for the first 1000 ft has the guise of appeal, but also the subtext of danger.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Imagine when they come out with a chip mod for the ED's that unleash the full power of the electric motor.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I don't have ED. But, in my ICE smart it isn't unusual to be challenged, usually by beaters who I can actually whip. I guess they've heard the smart is slow and they figure they've got a chance to smoke something. If I catch onto their game off the line, they're usually embarrassed. Yes, by a 2008 ICE smart. Sad for them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts