Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a number of posts with folks discussing the oil they use but no real discussions of why. From the Smart manual, it can be a little discerning for some of us (me) to understand the table in the manual. In any case, I changing my oil this weekend and since winter is approaching for us here in Michigan, I'm going with a 0w40 oil from Mobile One. During the warmer months, I plan to use a 5w40 Mobile One oil.

The reason I am choosing these is my understanding on oil ratings. The "w" means the oil is winterized meaning it stays viscous over a wide temperature range.

The number after the w is the temperature where the oil most viscous (thicker) when hot. Meaning a "w40" oil will be slightly more viscous (thicker) than a "w30" weight oil given a set high temperature.

The number before the w is the temperature where the oil is least viscous (thinner) when cold. Meaning a "0w" oil will be flow better than a "5w" oil. For Michigan winters, I think this is the better choice.

For the warmer months, I was contemplating a 5w40 oil which is what I believe is in it now since it was a Florida car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I prefer 0W-40 year round here. (It's actually the same 229.5 spec oil for Mercedes Brand vehicles of that era). I do not like the 5 weight even though it is generally hotter here than where you live. The 0 or 5 is critical when the engine is cold and temperature of the oil is dependent on ambient. Going with the 0 means you can leave it in in even the coldest of winters.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts