Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a trying to learn to do a few basic things myself so tried to top off my oil, which seemed a bit low. I accidentally used the oil for my old car (Ace All Seasons formulation SAE 10w30) and added enough that the oil now reads 1/4" above the high mark on my dipstick...another problem. Totally forgot that I even had the other oil and picked it up thinking that it was the new oil that I recently purchased. Have not driven it yet and don't know what to do. I added about .500 ml. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From reading up on it no one has reported damage from using it. Most use fully synthetic but some smart owner should have tried and haven’t reported any problems. Now sometimes on a cold start using lower quality oil can create a rattle until pressure has built up from what I’ve read. If it’s a major concern I hope someone else can lead you to a post where it has hindered someone’s smart. I haven’t seen it personally though. Or if you’re really concerned go to your auto store and get a hand pump siphon stick it in and drain it and add all the correct oil? Or tow it to a shop and have a full oil change. Other than that I still haven’t found a real issue with the smart and it using that.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My servicing dealer would sometimes overfill. The drain plug is quite easily accessible underneath the car. If I recall correctly a 15/16” socket will do the trick. Carefully back out the bolt and let a little drain out until it is within range. Tighten to 65 Nm.

Better change at 5k miles/6 months from last change, instead of 10k mi/1 yr. (My personal opinion on what to do).

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
...nothing bad it's going to happen...regular and synthetic oils are derived from petroleum....synthetic oil is refined then distilled...they do contain different additive for engine protection but they will work together just fine...
...and yes..do an early oil change rather then later...

Jetfuel...next..

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts