Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a conversation with a Smart car owner in Dayton Ohio, with a pristine condition 451, he mentioned he had thought about replacing it but concluded that he could not think of anything that could replace it. I thought of what I would replace my own with. For my current situation (street parking in NYC) there is nothing that could replace it. If I moved where parking would not be the issue I am still not able to mentally replace it. ..... So here are my new Smart car needs and they are again in that small criteria window so it will be hard to screw this up. I need what use to be refered to as a "built, balanced and blueprinted" 451 engine as well as a "bulletproof" 451 gear box. This is a period end of story situation. The cost is what ever cost the builder of each item will dictate. Of course it would have to be with in my means to pay for as money is a object, but that negotiation is the nature of commerce. Take into account that a replacement car used 5,000 dollars, new 30,000 is a clear indication of the affordable range the engine and gearbox could cost and still be financially feasible. So that is now written in "stone" (the undeletable cyber cloud) It's what I want on purpose, on my prayer list and a goal to see through. Thanks my Dayton Friend.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
I just bought a slightly used 2016 453 to replace my 2008 451 (190,000 miles, R.I.P.)
I would have done the electric version, but that 56 mile range is a deal breaker, my daily commute is 44 miles round trip and any deviation would require time to charge away from home. If smart would have continued the fuel engine models in the U.S., I'd always have at least one in the stable.

Not sure where I'll end up when this 2016 is retired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking at getting a Porsche Boxster so that I can let me son have my smart, but as I fix the few issues I have with my smart the more I do not want to let it go. After 12 years it is heard to think of driving anything else, but then again i have only put 200 miles on it in the last year.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Are you sure you want the 2022? Chevy just lopped $12,000 off the price of the 2021's:
The price cut on 2020 & 2021 models has been going on for a bit and has expired I was told. I have searched and there aren’t any around available for quite a distance from me and I don’t want to pay for transport. The East Coast gas “crisis” sparked a huge demand. Production of the 2021 models has ceased and the 2022s are shipping this month.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought a slightly used 2016 453 to replace my 2008 451 (190,000 miles, R.I.P.)
I would have done the electric version, but that 56 mile range is a deal breaker, my daily commute is 44 miles round trip and any deviation would require time to charge away from home. If smart would have continued the fuel engine models in the U.S., I'd always have at least one in the stable.

Not sure where I'll end up when this 2016 is retired.

View attachment 66497
Your situation for my theory is perfect. First sorry for your 2008 loss. ,,:cry:,, 2 questions.
What was the final issue with the 2008...? And what was the purchase price of the 2016..?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
Our MY15 ED changed ZIP codes to make room for a MY21 Chevy Bolt Premier.

The discounts in advance of the MY22 rollout made me lose my mind!🤯

Unless you wanted the EUV with 6 more inches, the MY21 inventory and incentives are pretty much history.

Early opinion of the Bolt is great - impressive for the price point & the “option” to use the HV battery during lengthy power outages for critical appliances.

Bolt’s range & technology allows for a “different” EV experience from (no tech) smart. BUT, Sparky’s RWD & go-kart sensation is still a thrill ride!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a great time with twcom at breakfast this morning. Lots of smart talk and insights into his cross country round trip. He's headed toward NYC - have a safe trip!

View attachment 66493
View attachment 66494

:)
  1. I DID... LOL.. :love:. I roll up to my Building in NYC at 230 am and sure enough there was space enough to park the Smart Car right across the street. Irreplaceable. A Fiat Abarth was double parked waiting for parking. Priceless.;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2016 453 replacement will be a 2022 Chevy Bolt, later this year.
Electric and hands free.. In the hands free world would we say "I am going to ride my car" as opposed to "I am going to drive my car"..?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Should have looked for it before I posted. It looks very very sleepy
View attachment 66500
Define " Sleepy "
I have been looking at getting a Porsche Boxster so that I can let me son have my smart, but as I fix the few issues I have with my smart the more I do not want to let it go. After 12 years it is heard to think of driving anything else, but then again i have only put 200 miles on it in the last year.
What I am about to say Makes no sense, but just do it then let me know about it. ...... Put a Shifter Boot on you Smart gear shifter... And of course always drive your Smart in Manual Mode with the gear shifter. ...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts