Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the engine air filter on my smart and during the pulling to get the air filter cover pipe off (after loosening the metal collar of course)
the pipe popped off the back end (where the accordion rings are).
Long story short as I was trying to force (bad word in car repair) the pipe back on the the resonator it cracked at right angles to the round accordion rings ar. Went on then fine as you may imagine. I've ordered a new pipe (on the way) but in the mean time I butted the ends together and carefully, neatly and securely sealed the cracked area (wrapped duc tape around the whole accordioned area and adjacent pipe. Until the new part(which I will install intact-trust me)arrives, will this affect my air flow as in lean rich or otherwise? Pic below is courtesy of Smart eviloution.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...air into the engine is determined by the throttle body...it doesn't know if it has filtered air or dirty air....so...make sure you're good and tight on the sealing part...

Jetfuel...just clean....cold air...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. Digger, what is the advantage of the blue hose?
you do some bypassing I see.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
The primary advantage of the silicone hose IMO is to make accessing the air filter much easier. :) And, it may add a bit more power without the baffle. Under heavy throttle there is a bit more intake noise, but under most conditions I don't notice the difference.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Digger. I may just try it. If for no other reason than to ease airfilter change. Thanks!

·
17,350 Posts
Word of advice, make your own using a rubber hose from the hardware store...it will be SO MUCH cheaper than the ones you can buy online.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I don't know or really care if there is more power from the hose. Simple answer...buy it because it makes changing the airfilter a 2 min job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts