Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so far, after 5 days with our new smart:

What's hot

- Transmission - still using it in Auto (D) with the throttle keeping it at about 4500 rpm gear changes. It will hold to 5K rpm if you tell it to.
- Interior - roomy, comfortable, great viewpoint from the drivers seat. All the controls are where they should be.
- Radio 9 - yeah, not thousands worth of aftermarket but once you get it set for your ears it sounds fine for a small, inexpensive car.
- smart quirks - the wipers switch to interval when the car comes to a stop; rear wiper comes on when the car goes into reverse. Transmission creep mode works as advertised and can be modulated with the brake pedal.
- climate control - very simple, works great, lots of control over temp and defrost (yes, uses A/C in defrost but the A/C button doesn't light up; so what?)

What's not

-Suspension is harsh - not pitching due to short wheelbase, but the thud from going over manhole covers. Tough on the kidneys.
- Door pockets are too small for anything unless you want to lose it.
- Aux input in the glove box; whose idea was that? Needs to be moved to below the instrument panel or somewhere.
- Single CD player is flaky; hangs on some tracks, then is OK when restarted.
- AM/FM presets - Russian roulette getting those set; operator error I'm sure so still reading up on it. Radio 9 reception is average or less.
added - the two clocks are now 20 minutes out of synch. Resynched today; will see how long that lasts.
Oh yeah, forgot the lack of DRLs - a definite NOT

All of these are subjective personal opinions, of course. YMMV. More to come. :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
CD player really really hates scratches. And it rides better than my oxcart '73 Vette. Which ain't saying much. Hey, it's all good at 40 mpg.

·
Registered
791 Posts
jwight, check your air pressure, ours came with WAY too much. It calls for 29 front, 35 in back, I'm still playing, but getting close to 30/30

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jwight, check your air pressure, ours came with WAY too much. It calls for 29 front, 35 in back, I'm still playing, but getting close to 30/30
Air pressure is right on factory settings; doesn't feel like the tires to me, more like shocks (or maybe springs but don't think so.) :)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Aux is in the glove box because in most countries there is no glove box. It is for the most part a tray area and you purchase the door of the glove box as an option.

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aux is in the glove box because in most countries there is no glove box. It is for the most part a tray area and you purchase the door of the glove box as an option.
Absolutely right; but the glove box door changes the original concept of use and one would think (and one would apparently be wrong) that would trigger a re-evaluation of the use of the aux outlet and accompanying cord. Sometimes known as systems engineering. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll add a couple of personal hots and nots for my Passion:

Hots: panoramic roof is great for watching traffic lights that are too close to the car; U-turns like a paper clip

Nots: weird little coin holder; driver side blind spot

·
Registered
570 Posts
Is the glove box still able to close with a cord sticking out of it, I dont care if it looks dumb, I just want to be able to change my Ipod without the door open all the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The mp3 jack has been no problem even with the glove box door open. The suspension will never be equal to a luxury car, just simple keep your eyes on the road and avoid the potholes! Have had my cabrio 2 weeks and have put 2200 miles on it - half highway. The car is awesome and fun. Today I drove my luxury SUV for the first time since bringing home our Cabrio and actually wished I was in the Smart instead!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Is the glove box still able to close with a cord sticking out of it, I dont care if it looks dumb, I just want to be able to change my Ipod without the door open all the time.
There is a post in "audio" about someone who pulled the wire through a slit in the back of the glovebox, than in the back, and has his nano connected to the Griffin charger in the little space at the right of the instrument cluster.

Check those two posts:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45869&postcount=4

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46021&postcount=21

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just a quick comment that the reception in my radio 9 is MUCH better than in my other car. I can listen to my favorite radio station all the way to work (almost 50 road miles) everyday.

The sound quality of the radio 9 leaves a bit to be desired, but hey, the smart is not a $40k vehicle. It works and I'm happy about that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What's hot

* Fun factor - more smiles per mile than any car at any price
* Ingenious and versatile design with tank-like build quality
* Long list of worthwhile features at a really great price
* Superb driving characteristics, especially at this size class
* Service simplicity (panels, assembly) to keep it young forever
* Your neighbor doesn't have one

What's not
* No micro-hybrid or electric version yet
* No Brabus version yet
* Worst warranty in the industry

·
Registered
196 Posts
My HOTS:
-Door checks work great on steep hills
-Heated seats on an inexpensive car
-Good ride.. mostly- and better than my old '03 MINI
-Clear roof
-Simple controls that work well
-Reverse-on wiper
-Hill holder
-Good customer service at my dealer
-Tiny size

Not so hot:
-I want a spare tire. I can't help it. Even a BMW Isetta had a spare (in the door!)
-Radio 9 reception in San Francisco has been static-y
-Rattle-y door with window down (might just be the frameless door issue, like Subarus)
-Possibly unreliable. Fingers crossed.. but I knew it wouldn't likely have Toyota reliability. Mine's had some issues.. but today it might all be getting worked out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes. I have no problem closing the glove box with the cord for my iPod sticking out of it. Then I just put the iPod in the little storage space to the right of the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts