Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new red Pure has found her name. Cotterpin!
Most of my vehicles and bikes ect have names. I don't look for them they just kinda come along. But it's often a roundabout story. Same this time.

The back story. Back in another lifetime I was touring on the road with bands doing lighting and sound. I had a roommate we called the multimedia experience. He would turn on the Hotel TV with no sound, turn on some music, and then proceed to practice his bass or keyboards to something else entirely. Often while talking on the phone.
One afternoon Fraggle Rock was on TV and he was listening to AC/DC. All of a sudden we realized that the music and Fraggle's singing and dancing were perfectly synced. It was hilarious. Ever since then certain AC/DC songs instantly make me think of the Fraggles!

Fast forward almost 30 years! A couple of weeks ago I was out driving and learning my new Smart and decided to try out the Radio. As soon as I turned it on one of those AC/DC songs was playing. I instantly thought of my favorite Characters from Fraggle Rock. The Doozers! I thought perfect this little car is a Doozer for sure.
Wait not so fast. I wanted to refresh my memory as it's been a couple of decades or more. So I did a Wiki. I was instantly reminded of Cotterpin. The head Doozers rebellious, artzy daughter. She had all the great qualities of a Doozer, but was also, artzy, spunky, and tried to get along with the Fraggles. Add all that to the more basic concept of a simple Cotterpin and I couldn't think of any name that could possibly be better. Cotterpin it is! She has found here name.

Silly little story about a silly little car that belongs to a silly old man!

·
Registered
858 Posts
My 2008 smart is Gigi, made in France and my poodle is Frenchie.:D I guess with the Mitsu*****ie engine I should have named her Gigison?:rolleyes: Naw, Gigi does just fine.:cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What's in a name!
So, where does Squatch come from?
I'm sure there is a story behind that, too?
There is a story behind everything! That's the fun part of life.

It's one of a couple of real world nicknames that have stuck with me from long ago. The other is Grizz. I'm a big, burly, outdoorsy man with a full beard. I live sorta in the country in a log home. Squatch was bestowed on me back in my happily misspent youth. Both the hair and beard were rather long! :) Most folks probably wouldn't expect to see me behind the wheel of a Smart.

So bring on the names and stories about your Smart. Or Screen names too if that's your pleasure!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm one of those guys who says he never names his cars, but both my current cars have multiple names so I gotta recant.

Not sure if my smart is finished being named. My daughter named it first when she saw it. She has a blue 2010 smart passion she named WALL-E after the cute robot in the movie. When she saw my white 2013, she said Eva! using the WALL-E voice, EEE-VA. Maybe you had to see the movie to get it.

One day my wife called it snowball and that has sort of stuck.

My old Jeep wrangler got named Bonnie when it was fairly new during a Jeep trip in southern utah when my wife (then girlfriend) and I were re-reading Monkey Wrench Gang together.

After I got to know the Jeep better, it's four-banger-slow risk-averse nature I started calling it Safety Joe after the John Prine song.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I got to know the Jeep better, it's four-banger-slow risk-averse nature I started calling it Safety Joe after the John Prine song.
There is a john Prine CD with that song on it in my 4x as I write this!:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Screen name: is what I do.

Smart Car name: Mr. Smarty - after a song by marty robins - Mr. Shorty about a short cowboy with a fast gun and he could get the job done! Since Mr. Smarty hauls bags of horse feed, saddles and tack, tools for fence repair, buckets of feed and dog stuff and my poodle and bichon, guess Mr. Smarty may be small, but gets the job done almost as well as my pickup (for most jobs)!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
My new red Pure has found her name. Cotterpin!
Most of my vehicles and bikes ect have names. I don't look for them they just kinda come along. But it's often a roundabout story. Same this time.

The back story. Back in another lifetime I was touring on the road with bands doing lighting and sound. I had a roommate we called the multimedia experience. He would turn on the Hotel TV with no sound, turn on some music, and then proceed to practice his bass or keyboards to something else entirely. Often while talking on the phone.
One afternoon Fraggle Rock was on TV and he was listening to AC/DC. All of a sudden we realized that the music and Fraggle's singing and dancing were perfectly synced. It was hilarious. Ever since then certain AC/DC songs instantly make me think of the Fraggles!

Fast forward almost 30 years! A couple of weeks ago I was out driving and learning my new Smart and decided to try out the Radio. As soon as I turned it on one of those AC/DC songs was playing. I instantly thought of my favorite Characters from Fraggle Rock. The Doozers! I thought perfect this little car is a Doozer for sure.
Wait not so fast. I wanted to refresh my memory as it's been a couple of decades or more. So I did a Wiki. I was instantly reminded of Cotterpin. The head Doozers rebellious, artzy daughter. She had all the great qualities of a Doozer, but was also, artzy, spunky, and tried to get along with the Fraggles. Add all that to the more basic concept of a simple Cotterpin and I couldn't think of any name that could possibly be better. Cotterpin it is! She has found here name.

Silly little story about a silly little car that belongs to a silly old man!
We all are silly. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts