Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been long enough since '08. What's the cheapest you've heard of a smart going for? I saw an 08 at a dealership for 4700.00 the other day.
It had 90k and was a passion. Looked good on the outside anyway.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
For a working car, that is the cheapest I have heard. Obviously, if the car was destroyed in an accident it would be less...but that's not what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Good, mid mile, Smarts are being sold now on EBay for $4,300 to $5K... Note these are sold prices not asking prices.

I expect when the new model Smart/Twingo comes out, with it's new standard transmission and better MPG, the 08's, 09's and 10's values will start dropping toward $3,500 and stay there.

Later when "Idiot" books, after market parts, and cheap scanner apps for Star control and settings become available, the car will become a hobby car and prices will rise. That's my prediction. What's yours ? A2Jack

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I quite agree. Depending on the future ,smarts will be somewhere near the status of VW beetles, but not as sought after. There will be at some point in the future a movie made where a minor characterization of the protagonist will be that he drives a "quaint and quirky" old model 08 smart. I believe that they will be first collected for fairly radical mods, then as time passes, for their own sake as faithful rebuilds. I think they will be much rarer than VW's because simply not as many were manufactured. They will be around the area of the Morris Clubman or similar.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went to an estate sale auction last week and bought an 09 with 25K on it for $3500. Everyone was scared of it because it had a salvage title. The owner had trailed an asphalt truck and got thouroughly spattered. The Insurance co. totaled it, hence the salvage title. Bought it for my daughter and granddaughter....mainly for cheap transportation. Mechanically it is perfect. They had cleaned it up and repainted it (black over original black) I don't think the paint job was professionally done, but it looks pretty good. The interior is showroom condition!

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
That is a find! :)

PS - the only issue I see with smart becoming a collector car is the computers; once they go, getting replacements and matching them to the VIN will price most folks out of the market IMHO. This applies to most modern cars, BTW.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I went to an estate sale auction last week and bought an 09 with 25K on it for $3500. Everyone was scared of it because it had a salvage title. The owner had trailed an asphalt truck and got thouroughly spattered. The Insurance co. totaled it, hence the salvage title. Bought it for my daughter and granddaughter....mainly for cheap transportation. Mechanically it is perfect. They had cleaned it up and repainted it (black over original black) I don't think the paint job was professionally done, but it looks pretty good. The interior is showroom condition!
You could always replace the affected panels !! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts