Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think it could be done....last night I brought a 55" tv (box was 60"). boy did that look funny, a box almost as long as the car

·
Registered
729 Posts
Biggest thing so far was a 27.5” schwinn cruiser bike still in box in my 2014 ED. I had to fold down the seat and had about a foot of the corner sticking out the passenger window and could not close the rear glass, but the tailgate did close. Drove 21 miles like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just for fun when i had my 451, I tucked my LoveSac MovieSac into the sport utility cover (so it could be somewhat compressed from it's normal size), and managed to fit it in after folding the passenger seat down. Everything was all closed up nicely, but it more than likely wouldn't have been legal to drive it as such since there was no visibility out the passenger side of the car.

And i kinda wish i'd have stuck around at my local Wal-Mart on Black Thurs... i mean Friday to try to get one of those 49" 4K TV's for like $320 or however much it was. Was only one person waiting in line for one of those, since everyone was clamoring for the 55" Sharp. Could have probably fit it in my 453.... but w/e. Not in the market for a new TV right now anyway... though it WOULD be nice to watch some of the 4K BluRay movies i've bought so far IN 4K.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Inside? Four wheels mounted to tyres packaged into boxes with a dolly to roll them into USPS.

Total? An entire apartment. :3

·
Registered
237 Posts
When buying large items that will require assembly (computer chair, for example), I unpack the box in the store parking lot and load in the separate parts to fit inside the smart's cabin and passenger seat & footwell. Fold up the large cardboard box and save in case a return is needed.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I haul my gtr and amp and a bag of cords. My gtr slides up between the seats. Then I fold the passenger seat down and my keyboard is 54 inches long, so it goes from touching the windshield to just touching the tailgate when closed.

https://imgur.com/hGhTjsB

Then I made a shelf for the cargo area. I took 2 spring loaded closet rods for a base. Then cut a shelf out of an old screen from a big screen tv. I wrapped the edges in aluminum tape. Bought 4 spring loaded clips and wall bracket for hanging up mops and brooms. I cut up the wall braket into 4 pieces and placed themon the 4 corners of the shelf and used small bolts to fasten them to the shelf. The brackets fit over the shower rods. I have the shower rod closest to the seats rolled out pretty tight and the one towards the tailgate I drilled the ends and inserted bolts so the heads would protrude to fit the smaller holes on the sides of the cargo area. I can loosen the tight rod and remove the whole thing, or I can lift up the rear and it pivots top access the cargo area even when the tailgate is still up. The LED's I have along the sides of the cargo area illuminate up through the shelf at night and gives it a fancy glow. To keep the center from sagging I mounted an aluminum frame from a license plate on PVC pipe with plastic tie ties and it slides to wherever I need it under the shelf but above the rods. It's more fun for me to make something that it is to buy it. DCO

https://imgur.com/mPOAVGU

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Surprisingly I was able to see after adjusting the side mirror as far as it would adjust, I just had to lean forward a bit.
Still... pretty sure a cop would have (or should have) stopped you if he saw that. Fairly certain it's illegal to drive your car if you have no (or next to no) visibility out the passenger side of the car. Don't think "leaning forward" counts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hauling Large appliances

Last summer my van was being used by son in Florida and my dishwasher went out. Purchased one from Sears and loaded the box in the back with the tail gate down and box strapped in. Two weeks ago my dryer went out and van was in body shop, so purchased another from Lowes. The box was too large to fit the rear, so removed the box and loaded the dryer and strapped it down. The store clerks all came out and took photos after it was loaded. I took photo when I got home. Can not load any more photos. See
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f27/sitting-hatch-137729/index2.html

MLogan
2014 Smart Passion
Smyrna, TN

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Still... pretty sure a cop would have (or should have) stopped you if he saw that. Fairly certain it's illegal to drive your car if you have no (or next to no) visibility out the passenger side of the car. Don't think "leaning forward" counts.
Living Dangerously, story of my life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts