Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shrug: 2017 Cabrio, turbo, dual clutch. EPA says 38 ~ 39 mpg. Wife and I regularly get 44~45 mpg. Today, cruise locked on 55, country road with a few stops, I got 55 mpg on a 33 mile trip!!! Maybe it was a tail wind. I got only(!) 52.7 mpg on the way back!! Ha, ha! Don't fix it. What's the matter with my car? >:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actual miles??.................

The best way to compute MPG,is to reset trip meter each fill-up. Devide the miles driven by amount of gas to refill=MPG. If
you use any sort of electronic gizmo,chances are it will be far from accurate.And due to
different temps,pump speed,and pump metering. You will only arrive at an accurate MPG
by averageing several fill-ups...................

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did that for the 44 ~ 45 mpg calculations. They came within 1 mpg of the dash board read out. I've done that with our Jeep also, and found the electronic read-out pretty accurate. Our Prius however, I didn't trust.

·
Super Moderator
17,738 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your car, you just discovered the fortwo's fuel economy sweet spot. Unicycle used to get incredible fuel economy in his old 451 by sticking between like 45-55 mph. My 453 can sometimes see as high as 60 mpg if I feather the throttle and keep it out of 3k rpm or higher. These cars basically start dumping fuel in the higher rev ranges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts