Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Newbie in DC. I've got a subwoofer that will sit in the cargo area behind the driver's seat. There's a bracket that's intended to screw down into the floor of the cargo area to keep the sub from sliding around. I know there's important stuff under there, but I don't know exactly what it is... or how long a screw would be too long. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
The cargo area is usually considered to be the space above the engine - not a good place to permanently mount something unless you want to remove it every time you need access to the engine. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Good to know, but the only place it's going to fit. The weight of the thing will keep it moving around but so much. The bracket is just to help ensure it doesn't move at all. It would just be two screws to remove it for engine access. I should have pointed out that I have an electric drive... so I won't have much call to access the engine...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Even if it were gas it really isn't a problem. I have a 12 inch sub with a massive ported box in my trunk. Its not like I'm going into the engine every day. Just keep your screw driver in your glove box or something. Odds are it'll never interfere.

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
Have you checked the engine cover thickness and what's under it? Might be a good idea before starting to drill....:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I just have to ask- How have you been checking the oil and other crucial things if you've never opened it up?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
There's a bracket that's intended to screw down into the floor of the cargo area to keep the sub from sliding around. I know there's important stuff under there, but I don't know exactly what it is... or how long a screw would be too long.
Welcome to SCoA.

Don't want to penetrate any orange HV cables! Pages 4 - 6 may hold some clues . . .

https://xentryportal.i.daimler.com/public/dateien_altsystem/common/info/info_rettung/emergency_response/Emergency_Response_Guide_smart_fortwo_electric_drive_pdf.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bad, I should have paid more attention. Seemed odd. Anyway, carry on.
No worries... better safe than sorry! A lack of oil changes, emissions inspections, etc. (not to mention a cleaner environment and lower costs) were all among the reasons I went electric!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries... better safe than sorry! A lack of oil changes, emissions inspections, etc. (not to mention a cleaner environment and lower costs) were all among the reasons I went electric!
Well, that's telling. The cover is hardly sturdy enough to secure the subwoofer, and there's zero clearance where I'd need to screw down, anyway. I'll have to get creative...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Instead of screwing it down. Attach subwoofer down, with heavy duty velco strips. No drilling needed. It won’t slide around. Lowe’s, Home Depot, Amazon, carry them. If you need access to the electric motor, for some reason. Just lift the subwoofer out. Easy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Instead of screwing it down. Attach subwoofer down, with heavy duty velco strips. No drilling needed. It won’t slide around. Lowe’s, Home Depot, Amazon, carry them. If you need access to the electric motor, for some reason. Just lift the subwoofer out. Easy.
Thanks, but as you can see from the photo above, I already took Dennis' advice. Bought a piece of plywood, attached some carpet remnants with adhesive spray, and screwed the unit down. It's very stable, and the board lifts out easily for engine access. I did go the velcro route for the amp, though, which is attached to the cargo wall immediately behind the passenger seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts