Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Nope , you're not alone.:) I'm driving my 451 until it croaks or something else comes along....Maybe smart will have another redesign by then or perhaps they will have other nicer looking machines (like the old Roadster) in the line up.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Same here. I was going to update my 08 cabrio. But now with the style and color changes I've decided to wait a while and update my Fiat 500C to an Abarth 500C. Seems Max, my smart, is quite happy with the decision.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I am unmoved by the same few complaining about the appearance of the 453. I acclimatized to how boring the 451 looks. I am having an easier time warming to the 453.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Haven't we been down this road numerous times already?
Seriously, didn't 450 owners say the same about the 451?

By nature, many humans have trouble adapting to something different from what they're used to. Even I thought the 453 was UGLY...up until I saw one in person and drove one.

Now, I'd gladly trade in my wonky 451 in a heartbeat. >:D

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
It might be a better car. It reminds me of a rounded off IQ. We'll drive our 451 in the ground. Keep our Abarth too. The new model gotten too $$$$ too. Almost 20K, for a car, without a info screen, lane change cameras, push button start, power sunroof, tilt and telescopic steering, only 40 mpg. Very slow. We'll see if the consumer flocks to the dealer for one. Lack of modern common conveniences and higher price is going to hurt the sale car.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
I've voted for President of the USA 11 times so far. 91% of the time, I had to choose between the lesser of two evils. A few times the choice was based to a fair degree on which candidate offended me less on a visceral level.

But, when it comes to buying a car, there are many to choose from. I like some of the changes in the 453. But in my view, the most attractive aspect of the 453's styling is that it's garish. And as smark pointed out, the upgrades are too little, too late, and too expensive.

I understand that not being part of the 453 clique makes me and other outsiders the black sheep of SCoA. So be it. I've never thought cliques were cool anyway, even as a teenager. Their main goal is to keep non-members to shut up and sit down.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,976 Posts
Had the 451 "evolved" with some subtle (interior?) styling changes over the last 8 years the 453 might not be such a lightning rod?

453 was painted on a blank canvas that BY DESIGN was intended to cover up the bones of the 450/451.

That ALL NEW 453 also has 2016 pricing...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Taking inflation in to account a $14k item in 2008 would cost about $15.5K in today's dollars. What did that $14k get you back in 2008, a smart with almost no options.

I could buy a Micra, Spark, Fiesta or several other cars for less and maybe get a few more items packed in to them that I do not want. All those vehicles have one thing in common, they are front engine/front wheel drive. After 8 years of driving a rear engine/rear wheel drive car through good weather and bad, I never plan to go back to fwd ever again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Taking inflation in to account a $14k item in 2008 would cost about $15.5K in today's dollars. What did that $14k get you back in 2008, a smart with almost no options.

I could buy a Micra, Spark, Fiesta or several other cars for less and maybe get a few more items packed in to them that I do not want. All those vehicles have one thing in common, they are front engine/front wheel drive. After 8 years of driving a rear engine/rear wheel drive car through good weather and bad, I never plan to go back to fwd ever again.
My 2008 passion was just over $17000 in January 2008. My 2016 passion with a bit more equipment including the DCT is $18200 and change Not too bad. It is perfectly ok to not like the 453 and love the 451 it is not a contest to see who wins. This kind of sounds like a family spat.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,976 Posts
2016 "sticker creep" was not simply impacted by inflation but also R & D, mandated safety/emission features and changes to accessory levels.

Most being equipped with AUTO transmission creates a false $1,000 "increase."

Dunno many vehicles that haven't seen similar rises in cost?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
As a proud owner of all 3 generations I can say my favorite is the 450, that's the one I fell in love 13 years ago, I had to buy the 451 because that is what was available I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. Same thing happen with the 453, first I saw it on my way to Portugal: I didn't like it, a couple of days later I saw it in person: my perception changed. Then 15 months later I finally drove it and a few hours later we took it home.
453 is not for everyone, of you don't like it, that's fine...life goes on :D

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Almost 20K, for a cat, without a info screen, lane change cameras, push button start, power sunroof, tilt and telescopic steering, only 40 mpg. Very slow.
Wait...the 453 has many of those things. Both the seats and the steering wheel are adequately adjustable, there is at least one info screen and up to three total(optional headunit and/or your phone), and they cut three seconds off the 0-60 time. I think the 453 is actually faster than much of its current competition.

Which is strange, I never thought I'd say that a smart is one of the fastest cars in its segment.

Also, I feel MB had intentionally left out some features just so the refresh 4-5 years from now will seem like a bigger leap.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Wait...the 453 has many of those things. Both the seats and the steering wheel are adequately adjustable, there is at least one info screen and up to three total(optional headunit and/or your phone), and they cut three seconds off the 0-60 time. I think the 453 is actually faster than much of its current competition.

Which is strange, I never thought I'd say that a smart is one of the fastest cars in its segment.

Also, I feel MB had intentionally left out some features just so the refresh 4-5 years from now will seem like a bigger leap.
My daughter and I had to pick up some new wiper blade for our 451. The car we looked at at aristocrat motors. Was near $20k. A power sunroof is still not offered. There wasn't a sounded system info screen. My daughter said the new radio pod was cool, but why go to the effort, if there no touch screen. With Pandora Sirius radio HDMI connectors. No tilt, or telescoping steering wheel. What reverse camera, or lane change one. Big blind spot B pillar. The feature missing are available, on much lower priced vehicles. Is there another car here in that segment? The IQ is history. The performance is much better then her 451. Still slow, compared to our other small cars. She said she'll just drive her current 451 into the ground. Her's has a better touch screen navigation radio.

What was really sad, the used car manager was only going to offer us $2,700 for our 2008 77k mile passion.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Touchscreen will be eventually offered, it just has been delayed...reverse camera? If someone needs that in a Fortwo the car is not for that person :D
Agree with the big blind sport B pillar, the 451 has better visibility.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts