Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Smart Car Sharp Red.
I noticed recently while using the AC, a loud ticking/banging noise comes from the outside.
The AC still works and blows cold, but the outside of the car (by the front) makes a loud noise.
I can hear it both from the cabin and outside the cabin.
My guess, is that the fan is cracked, BUT before I buy a replacement fan and pay the $300 to get it fixed,
I wanted to get a second opinion.

Heres a video of the problem. https://vimeo.com/345130974

Would you agree that the problem is probably the cooling fan?
Can I still drive the car lightly in the meantime, without using the AC, or will this cause overheating?
I'd appreciate any input! I know very little about cars.

Also, if it IS the cooling fan, this would be the correct part to buy, correct?
https://www.mercedesbenzsmartparts....MI-ba8-baN4wIVCttkCh1hHQ8xEAQYASABEgKZQfD_BwE

·
Registered
857 Posts
My noise is more rattle than rub but same general issue believed to be from the same part as yours. Your fan actually sounds to be hitting something as it turns. I am pulling mine off the road and to the shop the eventuality of the fan stopping all together at an inopportune time in traffic is to expensive of a thought. I did drive mine soft without AC usage for a week after concluding that the fan was the issue and will being driving it to the shop this morning.

gonna put it in and have it gone over, I need some other things that I will have done at this same time but primarily its in the shop for a suspected broken radiator fan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My noise is more rattle than rub but same general issue believed to be from the same part as yours. Your fan actually sounds to be hitting something as it turns. I am pulling mine off the road and to the shop the eventuality of the fan stopping all together at an inopportune time in traffic is to expensive of a thought. I did drive mine soft without AC usage for a week after concluding that the fan was the issue and will being driving it to the shop this morning.

gonna put it in and have it gone over, I need some other things that I will have done at this same time but primarily its in the shop for a suspected broken radiator fan.
Let me know an update on this! I live in LA and we have some huge pot holes here, so my guess is that I took one a little too hard and it cracked my fan.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Let me know an update on this! I live in LA and we have some huge pot holes here, so my guess is that I took one a little too hard and it cracked my fan.
Smarts to be
Will do. honeys do's and 2 year old Grand Baby birthday party got in between the delivery of the car to the shop. That could push back putting it in until next Saturday due to work schedule. Now I'm eager to get it there. Me eager to spend money, I must love how I feel in this car.

But have your Baby checked, I have Scan Gauge ll that monitors my coolant temp. Don't chance overheating we want these Smarts to be with us a long time to come. and Why is your bonnet taped? I had forgotten to latch mine after cleaning recently and went for a spirited run surprisingly and luckily it did not blow open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts