Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I have a 2013 Smart ForTwo 451. I got the Brabus edition at the time and the rear wheels/rims, as I'm sure you are all aware, were slightly larger and required more expensive tires that had to be replaced more regularly.

Portland being the city it is, destroyed those back rims with endless potholes, so (on a limited budget) I replaced them with basic, steel, cheap-as-you-please tires and they have been mismatched for a couple years now.

I have budget again and I want to replace all 4 wheels because she's my baby and I've got almost 90k miles on her and I plan to put another 90k if possible! Here are my wheel questions:

1) I want to continue to use the most common, basic, cheap tires for both ease of repair and ongoing maintenance budget purposes. My understanding is that the best option will be to use 15" tires front and back. Can anyone confirm?

2) I know that I could save money by replacing the back rims with identical rims to the front, but I don't particularly like them. I've seen some great all-black rims on black Smarts, but really I just want something that's going to be easy to clean and looks fresh. The rims I currently have on the front tend to accumulate a TON of brake dust and it's officially caked on there for good. Any suggestions for rims?

That's it for now - I appreciate your insights and will be browsing this forum for more inspiration!

PDXPatrick

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I can suggest you switch to ceramic brake pads for your front brakes. That will cut the dust down to nothing. You can use any nice rims.

be as frugal as you can be our new wheels. Especially on a vehicle that has over 90 K miles on it. Check out Tire Rack, smart madness for a wide selection of wheels. Madness offer a lot of used take offs, for a reasonable price. I would be using, what is the standard size for a Brabus. Front and rear tire size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can suggest you switch to ceramic brake pads for your front brakes. That will cut the dust down to nothing. You can use any nice rims.

be as frugal as you can be our new wheels. Especially on a vehicle that has over 90 K miles on it. Check out Tire Rack, smart madness for a wide selection of wheels. Madness offer a lot of used take offs, for a reasonable price. I would be using, what is the standard size for a Brabus. Front and rear tire size.
Fantastic, thank you very much Smark. I actually have a call out to Madness to see what deals they have. I had never heard about ceramic brake pads, but that's great information too.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,556 Posts
As a long time Brabus owner, here is my two cents. The standard tires and wheels for a US spec are as follows. Front, 175/55-15 on 5.5x15 wheels. Rear, 215/35-17 on 7.5 wheels. Since you still have your stock 15's, I would try to locate two more Brabus 15's either used or take offs. You could then run the same size all around, have a little taller sidewall and be able to rotate the tires like a regular car. There are many more varieties in tires in a 15" size than a 17" size to fit a smart. Cost should be a little less, too. Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts