Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
J...I know that there are pictures of wheel chairs in the back cargo area of the smart some where in this site but I'll be damn if I can remember who posted it...
...another alternative will be to get a bike rack from some of the supporting vendors here and mod as required to fit the needs.....my 1c

jetfuel

·
Registered
910 Posts
JBURCINA -
If you don't need to carry much cargo with the wheelchair you can buy a manual one with removable wheels.
My wife uses one all the time. I bought her a lightweight Breezy Ultra that comes standard with the removable rear axels. Cost online was $350 delivered.
I just pop the wheels off - one goes behind each seat and the frame goes into the cargo area, on it's back, after it's folded.
It's easier for me and protects the chair in bad weather, where an external location wouldn't.
Do a search for "wheelchair" on here too. One fellow had pictures of his electric model that he carried.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yesterday, - just ordered an "Excel Freedom Transport Chair", “Restaurant-Style” Arms, weighs 14.8 lbs., folded dimensions - 28.5" x 26" x 8" for my mother in a nursing home - doctor visits. You don't have to remove the wheels - the back and handle area easily fold - includes extras such as back pockets, cup holder. After it arrives, I'll post a photo of it in my cargo area. Sale $159. Her current chair won't fit - and it's very heavy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't see using an outside rack for a wheelchair and putting someone in a wet, cold or hot seat. But then again, I live in Wild and Wonderful WV where it snows, rains, & etc.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yesterday, - just ordered an "Excel Freedom Transport Chair", “Restaurant-Style” Arms, weighs 14.8 lbs., folded dimensions - 28.5" x 26" x 8" for my mother in a nursing home - doctor visits. You don't have to remove the wheels - the back and handle area easily fold - includes extras such as back pockets, cup holder. After it arrives, I'll post a photo of it in my cargo area. Sale $159. Her current chair won't fit - and it's very heavy.
Here's a photo of the Excel Transport Wheelchair. Lots of room. And I can't begin to say what a joy it was to get my Mother "easily" in and out of a Smart. I should have ordered one years ago rather than lifting a 40 lb. chair in and out of my trunk over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I would stay far, far away from any weight-bearing kit that is just attached by means of two bolts in the rear crash bar!
Two things to consider: (1) The OP is a smart dealer who presumably is aware of the load limits for those tow bolts, and (2) smart already sells a bike rack designed for use with those tow bolts, so it's not like smart prohibits any use of weight-bearing kits on those tow bolts.

With that said, I'm not sure I would put a motorized wheelchair in the cargo racks I posted above, but I don't see why a manual wheelchair couldn't work given that the bike rack is designed to carry two adult bikes.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just ordered this for my big scooter and big wheelchair - and I'm selling the van with the lift and my Airstream. Just too much for me to handle now - and I've driven the van exactly three times since I got the smart over a year ago.

The maximum tongue weight on it is only 75 pounds, and it takes a Class I hitch. It should be here in about 2 weeks. I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
A full size custom wheel chair, will just
Fit in the rear cargo area of the smart
Car. Just remove the rear wheels, fold.
The chair unit into. Remove the foot
Rest, and seat cushion.
Wheelchair Wheel Tire Window Plant

1 - 20 of 20 Posts