Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

First, let me say that I have searched for this topic and found relevant threads, but none of the images work anymore.

I'm wondering if a standard collapsible wheelchair fits in the cargo compartment and if anyone has a picture of how that would work?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mike: I have a chair that will fit in the back of the smart it’s a tight fit but it will go in.
The model I have has quick release pins for the axles you push a button in the center and pull the wheels off I worked in aircraft for years and we called them Pit Pins. I’m able to get the chair in pulling only one wheel it’s not an easy fit or something you would want to do on a regular basis however I’m 75 years old with one leg cut off above the knee and I can load and unload it by myself. The two pieces for your feet I put in the tailgate. Here is a URL to the place I got my chair from. Ken

Drive Poly-Fly Lightweight Wheelchair / Transport Chair Combo - Flyweight Wheelchair - Transport Chair

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yup, it works

I have a "travel" style wheelchair that I use for my mother.
It has little wheels front and back
(needs to be pushed by someone else).

Fits very well in the back of my cabrio.

The footrests remove, and the push handles fold down.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. And I did see that video, smark, but the chair would not be for me. It would be for my passenger so we would be using both seats. I already have a smart and just trying to figure out if this will work or if I'll have to get a bigger car in the future.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
twist86, that chair fits in the back of a smart car. The second part of the video shows two people and a chair in the car.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Just another idea, from a different angle.....

Not sure if it would work for a wheelchair but I just modified a bike rack that mounted to the rear towbolt holes to carry a walker. I bet someone from this forum could do something similar for a wheelchair. (cough cough - perhaps a forum vendor or a real good welder)

The people who use the walker mounted on the back of the smart used to use their SUV for trips around town, way better mileage now plus much easier for parking. Sorry, I don't have any pics yet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are at least 3 different companies making a wheelchair carrier but they require the added expanse of a trailer hitch. A internet search can turn up some of these for less than $200 Here is a clip of one of the carriers.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Altomobility. Alto Select.

"The Alto Select is manufactured from 6061/T4 aluminium and then aged to T6.
The folding backrest of the wheelchair is height adjustable and consists of numerous angle adjustable settings.
The folding mechanism makes it easy for the chair to fold yet light and compact to be fitted in the smallests of cars.
here to view it!
"

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Having gone through all of that a year ago (for my wife), I can say with authority that you have two options - a "travel" chair, that breaks down sufficiently to fit in the smart, or an external carrier. My wife has a "standard" chair, and it won't fit. We do, however, have a trailer hitch. So first, i went to Harbor Freight and picked up a luggage rack for a 2" hitch, and got a 1.75 to 2" adapter. Problems were that the weight, so far behind the car, cause some stability issues, and put a LOT of stress on the hitch, plus it dragged every time I went up into a driveway.
Next, I got an actual wheel-chair rack that fits the class 1 receiver. Works great, but tears up the arm rest. I had to cut some sheet metal and trap it between the clamp and the arm rest when in the rack (no big deal, just having to remember to do it).
Thankfully, through the wonders of advancing meds, she no longer needs the chair, so it is back in the garage, collecting dust, against the day that we once again need it in the future.
One reason we didn't look into the travel chairs is that they are really designed for civilization - smooth parking lots, gentle slopes (ADA compliant), and someone to push the "patient". I will also state that I didn't put out the extra $$$ (not that I had any, at the time) to get the folding carrier - it stuck out when in place, or you had to take it out (so someone wouldn't trip on it). Also, it isn't great is the weather is bad (I never actually had to come up with a cover for it, thankfully).

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Altomobility. Alto Select.

"The Alto Select is manufactured from 6061/T4 aluminium and then aged to T6.
The folding backrest of the wheelchair is height adjustable and consists of numerous angle adjustable settings.
The folding mechanism makes it easy for the chair to fold yet light and compact to be fitted in the smallests of cars. Click here to view it!

"
See post number 6

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I lost my leg I spent a lot of time looking for the chair I now have like I said earlier it’s not something you want to load and unload on a several or even a once daily basis.
The Alto Select shown in this thread looks like something I would like I’ve looked on the internet and found several places that show it and all the features but none give a price.
It looks like it is built by a company in South Africa I know I’ve seen some non powered regular wheelchairs that sell for over $2000 these are way out of my price range the one I have now was $300. If anyone has information on the price of the Alto Select please share that info.
Ken

·
Registered
27 Posts
I frequently transport my 200lb 81 year old father in law and his standard size folding wheelchair. He is barely mobile due to circulation problems. He says his legs feel like lead weights.
1- I put the passenger seat all he way back and wheel him as close as I can to the open passenger door.
2- He gets out of his chair, turns himself around, and sits down. He then has to lift his legs in.
3- I fasten his seat belt and then move the passenger seat forward until his knees almost touch the glove box.
4- I then lift the folded chair vertically into the back of the car. The driver seat has to be somewhat forward and I put the tall part of the chair on the left, behind the passenger seat.
5- When we arrive at our destination I reverse the above. First I remove the wheelchair. Then I push the passenger seat back all the way and unbuckle his seat belt. He then puts his feet on the ground, stands up, turns around, and sits in the chair.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Over 90% of the time I use a walker when I go out I would like to use a cane but with my wooden leg sooner or later probably sooner you miss a lick with that leg and if you only have a cane it’s just not enough to stop you from falling. At my age I don’t want to break anything. I don’t have a problem going to wally world if I find a close parking spot I can manage to get to the front part of the store and get a electric cart but many times there’s no carts available and walking very much is more than my good leg can take. If I had an easy way to transport my chair I would probably use it more often. On a smooth surface I can move along at a normal walking speed but my good leg isn’t really that good. Nuf about my situation.
Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts