Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to my car this morning to go to school. Everything seemed normal, or normal to me. Tire Pressure light is on, because I pulled all the sensors. Check Engine light on, no one has figured it out yet. ABS light wasn't on yet, but usually by the time I get to the interstate it is on. I go to reverse the car and it starts reversing. I shift to drive and car won't move. It feels like the parking brake is on, but it isn't. Forwards, backwards, nothing... Well maybe its like frozen due to rain/snow freezing the night before. So I tap the gas while in reverse and it frees up only briefly, enough time to get back into driveway. It seemed like once free it will lock up if I touch the brake pedal. Any ideas? I can't drive it like this.

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
sounds like ice/snow buildup in the wheels, could be the brakes too, or the emergency brake cable seized up in the locked position. maybe a stuck caliper not releasing, the list goes on.... Do you normally set the parking brake when you park?

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Check Engine light on, no one has figured it out yet. ABS light wasn't on yet, but usually by the time I get to the interstate it is on.
Hard to tell exactly what is going on with some of the obvious warnings the car is providing?

Perhaps things have deteriorated to the point that only a competent Euro mechanic or smart Center with a M-B STAR diagnostic computer can provide answers?

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I had a similar issue the brake parts for the parking brake fell apart, and jammed between the drum and brake pad keeping the tire from moving.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The stock "metallic" pads will corrode to the rotors in a very short time in the right circumstances even overnight. Mine will sometimes make a loud pop as the corrosion bond separates. it has dragged a front wheel for a few car lengths on my gravel driveway.

The brake "sticking" you can fix driving the car. Not like the other problems you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts