Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. I am at the point in my 2014 451's refresh where it's now about the wheels and tires. I want four stock steel 15 inch 5.5 wide rims those will be shod with 175/65 r 15 or 185/65 r 15 tires up front and 205/60 r 15 tires on the rear. My current Six spoke 15 inch 4.5 wide front and 5.5 wide rears have 165/60 r 15 front and 195/60 r 15 rear tires. Will get bends repaired. I believe a second set of rears will eventually be bought I just do not have the space for extra rims right now. I would like the second set of rears to go with 205/60 r 15 also and move the 195/50 set up front then on the six spoke 4.5 fronts do something skinny with a spacer some thing like a 155/70 r 15.

Now those are all mental wants. I now have to crunch all the numbers including price points. But it is a "wheel" thought now.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Those are very large diameter tires. Just want to make sure they will clear, and be aware that they will cause your speedometer to read lower than actual speed. On my 2015 ED, the speedometer is 6% fast, but the tire sizes you're contemplating are over 7% larger than stock up front (which was a 155/60-15) and 8.5% larger than stock in the rear (which was a 175/55-15). That stagger, though, should be roughly within the range which will not cause problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My, from factory package, wheels are 165/60 15 front and 195/50 15 rear. Yes I am attempting to put more meat between my seat warmed rear end and any unavoidable pot hole. The desired dream will at some point meet the functional reality but it's where I will start. I read all the tire post in the forms and see several owners have gotten some meaty tires to function. I will run the steel wheels black with chrome trim rings. Then collect hub caps like shoes to change the look, to suit my mood of the day. This car is just pure fun.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Yep. I am at the point in my 2014 451's refresh where it's now about the wheels and tires. I want four stock steel 15 inch 5.5 wide rims those will be shod with 175/65 r 15 or 185/65 r 15 tires up front and 205/60 r 15 tires on the rear. My current Six spoke 15 inch 4.5 wide front and 5.5 wide rears have 165/60 r 15 front and 195/60 r 15 rear tires. Will get bends repaired. I believe a second set of rears will eventually be bought I just do not have the space for extra rims right now. I would like the second set of rears to go with 205/60 r 15 also and move the 195/50 set up front then on the six spoke 4.5 fronts do something skinny with a spacer some thing like a 155/70 r 15.

Now those are all mental wants. I now have to crunch all the numbers including price points. But it is a "wheel" thought now.
185/65s will NOT fit in the front wheel well !! The biggest tire you can fit in there is 185/60s and they will "occasionally" rub. Ask me how I know :p

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I just bought new 15X6.5 wheels for Max. I bought Solar brand tires because I like the tread pattern on them. I got them in a really large size, 215/70R15. I am sure they will fit the back but not totally sure about the front. May have to use spacers on the front. If that doesn't work I will just buy 2 215/65R15's and keep the 2 70's for replacement on the back. How do I plan to fit such a large tire? I ordered the Daystar lift kit. But I ordered it in July and am still waiting on it to arrive. Called Smart Madness and the Smart kit is on national backorder and is supposed to be in stock by mid October. But I have also heard from sources that Daystar is very lax on delivering on time. If you order a kit from Ebay be sure that the person selling it has it in stock before ordering. I have 2 damaged Design 5 chrome wheels, one on the driver back and one on the passenger front. The chrome was peeling anyway so it was time for new wheels. If my kit would only come. That is my solution for all the potholes that rattle my car, but doesn't seem to phase my truck or the wifes car. Hopefully no more damaged rims, corrected speedometer, and better handling to a point.DCO

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I just bought new 15X6.5 wheels for Max. I bought Solar brand tires because I like the tread pattern on them. I got them in a really large size, 215/70R15. I am sure they will fit the back but not totally sure about the front. May have to use spacers on the front. If that doesn't work I will just buy 2 215/65R15's and keep the 2 70's for replacement on the back. How do I plan to fit such a large tire? I ordered the Daystar lift kit. But I ordered it in July and am still waiting on it to arrive. Called Smart Madness and the Smart kit is on national backorder and is supposed to be in stock by mid October. But I have also heard from sources that Daystar is very lax on delivering on time. If you order a kit from Ebay be sure that the person selling it has it in stock before ordering. I have 2 damaged Design 5 chrome wheels, one on the driver back and one on the passenger front. The chrome was peeling anyway so it was time for new wheels. If my kit would only come. That is my solution for all the potholes that rattle my car, but doesn't seem to phase my truck or the wifes car. Hopefully no more damaged rims, corrected speedometer, and better handling to a point.DCO
Will that be corrected speedometer, or slower? I don't know, this math alludes me. (Shame on me).

Did you call Daystar direct?

You had to keep those ginormous tires. Maybe Walmart will still take them back? Wouldn't hurt to ask...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Will that be corrected speedometer, or slower? I don't know, this math alludes me. (Shame on me).

Did you call Daystar direct?

You had to keep those ginormous tires. Maybe Walmart will still take them back? Wouldn't hurt to ask...
Over size tires will make the speedo slower....mine show 70mph and gps says 72.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Purple

Thanks chief! There are formulas out there, I'm sure InjuredAgain would know of them, that let you calculate exactly the difference/error. Just too lazy to figure it out on my own, also partly because smart starts off OFF.

Good to see you around again. When I started here I saw a lot of your good info, and now that I'm back to being smartless, I'm glad to see you around again.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Purple

Thanks chief! There are formulas out there, I'm sure InjuredAgain would know of them, that let you calculate exactly the difference/error. Just too lazy to figure it out on my own, also partly because smart starts off OFF.

Good to see you around again. When I started here I saw a lot of your good info, and now that I'm back to being smartless, I'm glad to see you around again.
Yea, still around, just not as much as in the past.......SLOWLY moving on....:D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Based on GPS measurements, the speedometer is 6% optimistic. I don't know exactly which tire or axle drives the speedometer measurement but going somewhere in the 5-6% range larger both front and rear would at least make the speedometer accurate.

I use this tire calculator from TacomaWorld. It's the easiest and most intuitive one to use:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=155-60r15-175-55r15

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With my bottom line for daily NYC use being to soften the shockwave of potholes. Tires seem to help in this regard. And tweaking what fits becomes a balancing act. Money mater's and makes me think about just spacing the front tires and holding serve with my current 165/60 15 front 195/50 15 rear tires until springtime. I know I will find the right option for both the look road feel and comfort I am looking for. I take real interest in what others are running. The question next is about ride harshness.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
With my bottom line for daily NYC use being to soften the shockwave of potholes. Tires seem to help in this regard. And tweaking what fits becomes a balancing act. Money mater's and makes me think about just spacing the front tires and holding serve with my current 165/60 15 front 195/50 15 rear tires until springtime. I know I will find the right option for both the look road feel and comfort I am looking for. I take real interest in what others are running. The question next is about ride harshness.

Those are sizes that came with my smart. The tire pressure recommended was 29 PSI front and 36 PSI rear. I’m sure a plethora of opinions on what pressures could be run are out there, but I ran them at recommended. Didn’t reach 15k mikes before my dad wrecked it, unfortunately if it had been taken to another shop I think it would have been saved, so I can’t say if the tread wear showed any signs of being off, must have been pretty decent.

·
17,476 Posts
I’m using 185/60/15 on all four corners and I love them. Interestingly enough, no rubbing. I think this is because my front wheels are 5.5” inches wide plus the design of the tyres I have. I bet I could have gone up to 185/65/15, but oh well. My next tyre upgrade will be All Terrain anyway. ;)

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ride harshness will be helped by using wider tires and running them at a slightly lower pressure. The main limitation is how wide your front rims are. My stock fronts are only 4.5" wide, so the biggest tire that is recommended with that width is a 165/65-15. If you pair that with a 185/65-15 in the back, that should give you more much and make the speedometer more accurate.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Alright, waited long enough. Are you sure you're recommending 165/65-15 and 185/65-15? Just doesn't sound right....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Alright, waited long enough. Are you sure you're recommending 165/65-15 and 185/65-15? Just doesn't sound right....
Yeah, well, if it weren't for a typo, I would!

It was supposed to be 185/60-15 and not 185/65-15. The 165/65-15 is 5% larger than the stock (for my car at least) 155/60-15, and the 185/60-15 is 5.1% larger than the stock 175/55-15. However, I don't know if there are any single tire models that will have both of those sizes though.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Well, in my defense, I did wait about a day, to see if you may have made a mistake and correct it. But, I actually wasn't sure if you may have new information on the smart traction control to actually recommend those sizes.

(My intentions were good, honest. Otherwise I could have posted a response much much earlier....)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts