Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 smart for two with 3800 miles on it. Do I need to change the plugs, or are they still okay?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Manual said 3 years or 30k mi if I recall correctly. I followed the years because of low mileage, paid the dealer to do it. Someone else may chime in whether they think it was necessary even though very low mileage.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
We have 9 cars and this one was bought as a toy for me.
That's awesome then.
To the original question, spark plugs are due at 30k. If you upgrade to iridium I think it's like 100k. But it depends how you drive the car. If you just drive it once a month or so then they should be fine, but if you were to indeed just drive the car for 1 mile a day then it probably wouldn't hurt to change them.
If you're mechanically inclined, pull them out and make sure they don't have some heavy rust or deposits. You will need a very tiny, absolutely baby ratchet with a 10 mile socket

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
There still okay. Why would they need to be changed. You Change them every 30,000 miles. The miles you put on your car, you will never need to replace them. I hope you been changing you oil at least. That goes for the antifreeze too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's awesome then.
To the original question, spark plugs are due at 30k. If you upgrade to iridium I think it's like 100k. But it depends how you drive the car. If you just drive it once a month or so then they should be fine, but if you were to indeed just drive the car for 1 mile a day then it probably wouldn't hurt to change them.
If you're mechanically inclined, pull them out and make sure they don't have some heavy rust or deposits. You will need a very tiny, absolutely baby ratchet with a 10 mile socket
I just changed @ 110K to iridium from what I've read on this group. Runs smoother & peepier too, I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought it new in 2009 and it's mostly highway mileage.
You are a brave soul. I don't know if I would do 200k on the highway in that small of a car, although I am in Los Angeles. It probably depends on where you live. We first encountered the car in Europe where people tend to drive much smaller vehicles. I fell in love with it and decided if they ever sold it in the USA I would buy one. I do have to say that the European models drive quite a bit better than the USA edition. It is still a lot of fun to drive with the top down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are a brave soul. I don't know if I would do 200k on the highway in that small of a car, although I am in Los Angeles. It probably depends on where you live. We first encountered the car in Europe where people tend to drive much smaller vehicles. I fell in love with it and decided if they ever sold it in the USA I would buy one. I do have to say that the European models drive quite a bit better than the USA edition. It is still a lot of fun to drive with the top down.
I too encountered them first in Germany in '04 while visiting my Uncle. His son works for Mercedes and had one of the sportster models, which I got to ride in,but not drive.When they first came to the states and they had the 'Test drive' events, I had to try one and I was hooked. I do have a second car for the Winter months, but I do drive it then also as long as no heavy snow is called for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts