Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am from Michigan and was in the first wave of order placers in early September. I ordered a silver cabrio! When should I expect to hear from my dealer. So far, other than the order confirmation the day I placed the order, I have not heard nary 1 word! Since I am in Michigan, the land of Penske and the home of Smart America, I am suprised that there has been absolutly no contact from anyone since my order was placed over 2 months ago. Any info would be appreciated. Has anyone heard from a dealer AFTER placing their order? Thanks!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
29,220 Posts
Dan,

The $64K question! Sort of depends on how far along your dealer is; some people here have already talked informally with dealers, others haven't heard a word yet. Not a very good answer but I'm guessing things will pick up as we get into December. :)

Here's a link to the list of dealers so far:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751

PS - your avatar is a great example of positive thinking!

·
Registered
347 Posts
The smart dealer in Michigan is also the smartUSA headquarters. It's on Telegraph Road in Bloomfield. The building isn't finished yet, but they are operating out of temporary office trailers located behind the building. They will not contact you until after the vehicles go on sale in the first quarter of 2008. The grand opening date is likely January 2, 2008, a Wednesday.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sisyphus,

I'm curious about your statement
The grand opening date is likely January 2, 2008, a Wednesday.
Where did you hear this? The last time I spoke with the people over in Bloomfiled I was told they were hoping to open late December. However, they have a long way to go to get the building ready based on how it looked yesterday.

Just wondering if you'd heard any newer news than I had.

Regards

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sisyphus,
I'm curious about your statement
Where did you hear this? The last time I spoke with the people over in Bloomfiled I was told they were hoping to open late December. However, they have a long way to go to get the building ready based on how it looked yesterday.
Just wondering if you'd heard any newer news than I had.

Regards
That's why I used the terms "Grand Opening" and "likely". The Bloomfield site may have what is called a "soft" opening as soon as it can. The "Grand Opening" is "likely" to be January 2nd because that is the first business day of 2008 and begins the first quarter of 2008, when the US smarts are scheduled to be on sale. I can't imagine that the HQ will not be the first, or one of the first, dealer sites to open. Just common sense. Don't read anything more into it. I lay no claim to having any "insider" information.
And the building surely is much closer to being finished than you may think. It's the interior that takes time, and they've got that any view of that blocked off. They can finish the exterior in a few days, tops. Myself and a couple of other smarties check out the site often, as you seem to do yourself. You can believe that when it does open you'll read it on this forum first!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The sounds of silece

Hi Everyone,

I am from Michigan and was in the first wave of order placers in early September. I ordered a silver cabrio! When should I expect to hear from my dealer. So far, other than the order confirmation the day I placed the order, I have not heard nary 1 word! Since I am in Michigan, the land of Penske and the home of Smart America, I am suprised that there has been absolutly no contact from anyone since my order was placed over 2 months ago. Any info would be appreciated. Has anyone heard from a dealer AFTER placing their order? Thanks!

Dan
not a peep
karl

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Dan
I stopped at the Bergstrum hummer dealer yesterday. And talked to Ryan who is going to be the general manager for smart. Even though the building next door is almost complete. Including the PEZ dispensor smart tower. They still don't have a dealership contract signed with Penski. They still havent been given a list of contacts for those of us who have confirmed our orders. He was glad I contacted him. If you know who will probably be your dealer you might want to send them an email.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yes.....don't wait for them. Go there and introduce yourself. They'll be more apt to contact you sooner if they know who you are. My dealer gives me updates all the time and I, in turn, send him some of the good stuff we find here. :D

·
Super Moderator
29,220 Posts
Yes.....don't wait for them. Go there and introduce yourself. They'll be more apt to contact you sooner if they know who you are. My dealer gives me updates all the time and I, in turn, send him some of the good stuff we find here. :D
And while you're there, encourage them to join this forum. The more dealers on here the sooner we'll get the real scoop. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michigan Dealer contact info?

Thats a great idea! Can someone supply me with the info for the Michigan dealer?

Dan

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Both Jwight and SmartBob-Good idea!

And while you're there, encourage them to join this forum. The more dealers on here the sooner we'll get the real scoop. :)
Being proactive is a good way to be in my opinion. I made contact with my dealer very early...even before I did the configurator, and have an open repoire with her. She has told me that sometimes I get important info and send it to her so she considers me to be her lifeline to Smart at present. So the dealers are as much in the dark as we are me thinks....:D
Making yourself known surely will do nothing but help get your car into your own hands faster with less possibility of screwups, too.
Dealers on here will be OK as long as they don't bombard us with advertisements, daily specials, etc.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Dan: Good news-Bad news.

On a visit about 2 1/2 weeks ago, one of the PAG management people told me they were right on schedule for both the building and the start of Smart sales. He said sales will begin soon after the 1st of Jan. That was the good news. :)

The bad news is, so far there is only going to be one dealer in Michigan and that's the Smart Center way down here in Bloomfield hills. :( But I understand the new list will come out this week so you can hope).

But more good news, they will be the main parts depot for all the other Smart dealers across the country (at least at first). :)

I'll be going by the Bloomfield center in the next week or so and shoot some pix. I'll post them on our Gallery Forum.

Hope to meet all the Michigan folks soon. (My order was 3 days later than yours). :)

A2jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts