Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new vanity plate today. I went out to install it, only to discover there isn't a obvious bracket on the front. Do I try and align it with on the lower grill? The emblem is right in the way!! Suggestions??? I don't want to drill holes or use sticky back Velcro. I live in S. Florida and the humidity would melt it right off!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If its a 453 its just a thick plastic front, and you can use self tapper screws to put your plate on. These self taper screws make their own holes and thread in the plastic as you screw them in (though a 1mm drilled hole makes a good start for them to self tap, that's what I did). I have one screw on each side of the plate, and plastic caps that go over the screw heads. As seen in picture below.

Here are the self tapers I got in a UK car parts store, but you should get the same screws easily enough in the USA (we have white plates front and yellow at the back)...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I saw that one at 'gominigo'! I like that the bolt was in the center of the plate, not off-center! Thank you!!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,494 Posts
I just got my new vanity plate today. I went out to install it, only to discover there isn't a obvious bracket on the front. Do I try and align it with on the lower grill? The emblem is right in the way!! Suggestions??? I don't want to drill holes or use sticky back Velcro. I live in S. Florida and the humidity would melt it right off!
Just curious.....Florida does not require a front plate. Are you trying to mount a custom plate of your own design?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You are so vain LOL, Here in the UK I also have a personal plate on my 453 Cabrio. A personal plate here makes the car 'ageless' as you cannot tell the date of the car from the plate. I bought it for £200 thirty years ago (three letters followed by three numbers), and its now worth £1800 in todays money, although that fluctuates, Mind you, every time I change the plate onto another car it costs £80 to transfer, and I had done that 12 times so far, so I never bought it to make money, just hide the cars age :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are so vain LOL, Here in the UK I also have a personal plate on my 453 Cabrio. A personal plate here makes the car 'ageless' as you cannot tell the date of the car from the plate. I bought it for £200 thirty years ago (three letters followed by three numbers), and its now worth £1800 in todays money, although that fluctuates, Mind you, every time I change the plate onto another car it costs £80 to transfer, and I had done that 12 times so far, so I never bought it to make money, just hide the cars age :p
Hehehehehehee!! I also have a personalized plate on my Mazda van and will be replacing the plate that came with my Smart's purchase. Gotta wait until 90 days before it expires, so have a bit of time for that. The 'vanity' plate I put on my Smart is her name.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While on the subject of license plates, I've discovered something interesting... American license plate screws are larger than the plate screws that came with my smart. It only had 2 screws holding the 'required' rear plate. I went to add the other 2 and realized (after removing the originals..), they were different. Any suggestions from others that found out the hard way, who might sell the right size license plate screw?? (And, maybe what size to ask for?????) Thanks!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Home Depot has loads of screws to pick from. You could even do bolts with nuts behind the trunk panel. It comes off real easy. Or mount a license plate frame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts