Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Eating out, out of town right now but it is in the passenger footwell, if you were sitting in the pax seat and raised your left foot outstretched you may come close to kicking it. Sorry no pi at the moment. Someone else may do a link to the pic.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Anything you put into your a/c system other than the specified refrigerant and a/c oil is a comtaminant. These so-called stop-leak products and alternate refrigerants are contaminants. What will you do if you introduce stop-leak into the system and it still leaks? Put in more? Then what? If it will stop a leak what do you think it will do to the small passages in the a/c condenser or in the thermal expansion valve? Then when the system stops working any reputable repair shop that finds that stuff in the system either will not work on it in order to avoid contamination of their recovery equipment or they will need to replace all the major components in order to make it work properly.

Then, when it does not work properly and you do not want to spend the money to repair it, will you sell it without disclosing to the buyer the mess they have purchased? Would you want someone to do that to you?

It sounds like you do not even know where the leak is. Why do you not have a reputable repair shop first determine where the leak is located and the cost of a proper repair. Then repair it properly or leave it alone.

Sorry for the rant but in many cases a half-baked band-aid solution comes with a greater eventual cost than a proper repair.

First off I know where the leak is and the stealer wants 3K to fix it. it is an 04 Ion with a salvage title with a small leak in the high side flex line. you do the math......

Second... Don't be so pompous to assume I would take advantage of someone by being less than honest to them about the AC..

Third... Sorry our respectable members had to read this rant....:mad:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
First off I know where the leak is and the stealer wants 3K to fix it. it is an 04 Ion with a salvage title with a small leak in the high side flex line. you do the math......

Second... Don't be so pompous to assume I would take advantage of someone by being less than honest to them about the AC..

Third... Sorry our respectable members had to read this rant....:mad:
Perhaps if you had revealed all that information in the original post you would have gotten a more relevant response. Or perhaps you meant to post this in the Ion forum. :rolleyes:

If you have a hose leaking which has a rubber section is crimped to metal lines you may be able to have it repaired. Any shop which fabricates a/c lines or hydraulic lines can cut off the crimps for the rubber section and crimp a new rubber section to the original metal parts. Then reinstall the line and have a shop evacuate and recharge the system.

$3000 sounds a little much to replace a line and recharge the system. There must be more to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked on a car the other day (not a smart). It blew hot air and the compressor didn't come on. Turned out to be a corroded connection. Worked on another right after that - hot air and no compressor, this time it was a relay. The list goes on for reasons why an A/C would not be working. :p

I would suggest to the OP if it is blowing hot air to look at other things (like the pesky little connector under the dash that breaks so easy) and be careful not to overfill if insisting on blindly adding freon. 😉
A majority of the time, the reason is because it is low on coolant

21 - 27 of 27 Posts