Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts mentioning owners transporting their dog in their Smart cars. Where do you put the dog so he is comortable and doesn't cause a problem? Front seat? Trunk area? Trunk area with seat folded down? I have a Basset hound needing transport to the vet and don't want this to be a dissaster. Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Our rather obese beagle rides in the luggage area on a blanket. The floor doesn't get hot even though you think it will.... Doggy likes it fine back there and sticks his nose up into the wind with the top down.

There is actually plenty of room for a doggy in the passenger seat footwell. I just don't like a dog messing around in the front of the car, so I don't allow the mutt up front. JMHO

It's a bit of a "leap " off the tailgate for a small doggy, so they need a hand gettin in and out usually.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
With a Basset hound, You might want him on the passenger seat with some kind dog restrainer. I believe they are long and stout and will probably need the room. They might appreciate being up front, too. Just my opinion since I do not own any pets. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Ever see National Lampoons Vacation??????

My parents are about to go on a trip and asked this question, in the trunk area on top of the suitcases in the doggy bed. This is for a yapper so my first choice is the National Lampoon route. :eek:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was wondering if the question was more about a dog like mine....all 138 pounds of him....a basset hound should be no problem. Where do I put this guy...I think he is going to need the luggage area and the front seat.

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
SADLY ENOUGH one may have to consider "downsizing" the family dog when you purchase your smart, so that he/she will fit in a 'cat carrier' and fit behind the seats.

hey, this "downsizing" thing is hurting everyone, even Mans Best Friend!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would never trade my dog to downsize, I love him, and this is an integral part of my home security system, I don't think a bichon frise would quite do. Maybe I need to get a cabrio and let his stick out with the top down.
Right now he takes up the whole back of my 325i, and it's a wagon.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
SADLY ENOUGH one may have to consider "downsizing" the family dog when you purchase your smart, so that he/she will fit in a 'cat carrier' and fit behind the seats.

hey, this "downsizing" thing is hurting everyone, even Mans Best Friend!
wrong.... just wrong on so many levels.... :D

Honestly though, we can get both our Corgies in the back trunk area... As for the larger dog shown above? My suggestion would be a trailer... somethings just won't fit. :cool:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
One of our dogs had a previous owner who is now DEAD because he allowed the dog to be loose in the car. The dog wanted attention, nuzzled the driver on a curve and distracted him. He never knew that he drove straight into a concrete bridge abutment and died instantly. His passenger was seriously injured but the dog survived to return to the streets, foraging garbage bags. We adopted her some six weeks later. Any dog in any vehicle should be restrained in the rear of the vehicle by a net, partition or pet carrier. Your life may depend upon it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We only have cats ourselves (and getting multiple carriers into the smart is no mean task) but I've given my sister-in-law and her Labrador short rides home several times. Nothing long, but she just goes in through the passenger door, through the seat gap, and sits on our rubber luggage pan. If we were transporting any distance, I suppose we'd have to make her space a bit comfier, but if you're just going about town and you don't have a lot of cargo, you it should be good.

We don't put the cabrio top all the way down.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Plenty of room for a basset hound in the back.

Just this last weekend, the rear of my smart held (1) oversized duffle bag full of 4 weeks of sleep-away camp stuff; (2) a gym bag; (3) a computer bag; (4) a rather large purse; and (5) a pug. Oh, and my daughter, sorry that camp was over, in the front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
small dog

Just be careful if you have a small dog and make sure that they cannot get in the seat well. We almost had squashed weiner dog

d

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
The driver's seat?

From a cartoon I saw somewhere:
"Sure, I let him drive once in a while officer, but he's never off his leash."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Our dachshund has a small bed with about a 4" lip which now rides atop the cargo divider (only took 3 months to get after paying for it at time of purchase) allowing him to see fore and aft without standing on his hind legs. Seems to have relaxed him considerably compared to traveling on the cargo floor. Even small dogs like to see out!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts