Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen anything that describes how Mercedes came up with the word TRIDION.

To my ears, it doesn't seem to evoke very much.

·
17,349 Posts
Good question. Over six years researching the brand and I don't even know the answer to that.

Maybe it's just some random name thought up by designers or a board room?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The 450 had three horizontal crash bars arranged above each other in the front, which explains the tri part...

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Here's a clue, correlating its three layers of reinforced steel with the Tridion name:

"Despite its diminutive size, the Smart Car is quite safe. It employs the "tridion" safety cell, which is made from three layers of reinforced steel. It was designed to absorb energy in the event of a crash to protect the passengers. Its makers say the Smart Car can withstand crashes with much larger vehicles."

Source: http://www.ehow.com/about_5081781_smart-car-history.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to further muddy the water here<

Smarts do use a de Dion tube suspension system?

Tri = 3

Dion = tube?

Muddy the waters... because you're guessing? Not a bad guess, if that's what it is.

I suspect this is one of the stories that never escaped the native reporting in German or French simultaneous with the car's introduction.

Let's keep digging.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
It what smart calls it safety roll cage, since it outer panels are made out of plastic. No protection. Similar to a racing roll cage. Honda uses the name Ace, on it safety structure.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Yeah, but Ace has implications of expertise. Tridion doesn't (seem) to mean anything that we are aware of.

It's just a name for the smart safety cage, like the word Astro Ventilation. GM use to uses on it wingless front windows. Tridion means it going to save you life, if you get hit by something bigger. They should have just called it a roll cage, safety cell, life protector etc.0:)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I'd get a hold of the marketing folks who came up with the name. Most likely they did a couple focus groups. The smart guys had several names come to mind. The majority came up choosing that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think it's from the planet Tridi and was formed as an isotope when the planet exploded in the '90's. Rumor has it that the first smart fell to earth in Smartville and was raised by Mecerdes and Francois.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts