Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to replace the oil pressure switch but cannot locate it. I thought I found it on the driver’s side end of the engine, but that connector does not match the connector on the replacement part. It’s possible I have the wrong part but I have no way to verify as I cannot find any pictures of the correct part or it’s location on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid an unnecessarily costly visit to a mechanic. No smart dealer in my region.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you going to JB Weld the thing back in, or tap it out and insert a "banjo" bolt?
I was leaning toward replacing the entire cover. I've never done that before and seems like it is rather involved. I don't think I could trust JB Weld on it. Would question whether tapping and using a banjo bolt would affect the pressure in a negative way?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't think it would too much. Some older Harleys would remove their old filter to a more "accessible" location with a kit. Plus I used to do a "5 qt oil change". (Capacity is 3qts, DON'T spin on the new filter, run new oil until clear, THEN spin on the new filter).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can find a M20 tap but what about the bolt. Seems like I need just a M20 pipe nipple, right? A quick search shows them all to have a large added hex nut on them that would be in the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts