Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car ran perfect. Next day was -15F. Started instantly , engine light blinks, running extremely rough & low power. Drove slow 40 miles to Garage. Oil change last week but now only 1/2 qt.
Replaced with iridium spark plugs. One old plug was horribly fouled, other two normal wear. Ran like new for about 40 miles. But first steep hill on I-90 & using overdrive, two seconds into overdrive engine light blinks, low power, misfiring. 25mph rest of the way home. Weird. Tech says burnt valve can suck out oil, misfire, low power. But check for clogged PVC Valve first as will experience exact same condition. Much cheaper to replace PVC valve than to drop engine to repair burnt valve only to Discover it's a clogged cheap PVC valve. Oddly Smart Dealership has no listing for Smart PVC Valve nor did service Tech know where on the engine the PVC Valve was located. Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sorry for your problem! Please don’t post the same question in multiple threads. Once will do it and someone knowledgeable will assist you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for your problem! Please don’t post the same question in multiple threads. Once will do it and someone knowledgeable will assist you.
Thanks ! I understand and will Comply ! My thinking was that wording different ways might help. Again, thank you !

·
Registered
979 Posts
Richard,
I posted where the pc was in the other posting including a forum link with pictures of where the pc is located.
Unfortunately some heavy handed mod deleted it. They need to do the right thing and repost it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who deleted my reply to Richard Corbin and why? I didn't post twice and I expect it to be reposted.
Thank you
My Fault. I rephrased my issue another way and posted without deleting the first thread. I rcv'd a polite reply "stop posting twice". I responded that I would comply and thanked them. Perhaps it was they that deleted your reply.
I created this account 2018 and it has been over two years since returning. I forgot, sorry.
Still hope they will not forbid you answering because of my mistake as that would be unfair to you.
I do appreciate your effort, thank you!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Overzealous heavy handed mods and immature members see "Karen" post from Igor above are why I answer most post via PM or phone contact.
Take care

·
Registered
979 Posts
Richard,
Great talking to you, that was so interesting.
I hope I was of some help.
Good luck on whatever direction you go.
Stay healthy and have safe holidays
Take care
JL

·
Registered
979 Posts
Richard here is the deleted post.
I'm going to guess the plug was from the #2 cylinder.
Maybe (most likely) burnt valve.
Smart has a history of burnt valves.
Everyone on here will say get a second opinion. They are not wrong.
But it's going to cost more $$$$ for the opinion.
Then you have to find a mechanic who will be willing to work on your smart.
If it is a burnt valve, how much money do you want to throw at a car worth???
Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Richard,
Great talking to you, that was so interesting.
I hope I was of some help.
Good luck on whatever direction you go.
Stay healthy and have safe holidays
Take care
JL
38,000 engine miles. Per mechanic "ruined engine" $11,000 to replace engine. Finally found a garage that would Repair my 2013 Smart car 451 pure And it's burnt valve Symptoms or PCV valve.
No one in this town Would look at it . The garage that did look at it took off the oil cap on the engine and saw a lot of blowback And told me the engine is ruined . I cannot trust This mechanic . How can you know Judging by the blowback If an engine is ruined . It starts instantly But has low power And usually will only go about 30 miles an hour It can go faster but I don't want to push it . They just don't want The hassle of dropping the engine I suppose . The nearest dealership is about 500 miles away . I had driven about 300 miles using seafoam And then draining the oil Or what was left of the oil I put in Mystery Oil And have gone about 30 miles Hoping to unclog either the PCV valve Or help with the burnt valve .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who deleted my reply to Richard Corbin and why? I didn't post twice and I expect it to be reposted.
Thank you
Update, 12-31-2020.
Finally found mechanic. At 38,000 miles my engine is ruined. To replace engine costs $11,000 with labor added. I asked, How does it still start and drive even tho it's slow (25-30 mph). He said it is stuck in limp home mode it will not change until the engine is replaced.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Update, 12-31-2020.
Finally found mechanic. At 38,000 miles my engine is ruined. To replace engine costs $11,000 with labor added. I asked, How does it still start and drive even tho it's slow (25-30 mph). He said it is stuck in limp home mode it will not change until the engine is replaced.

It is often wise to get several estimates, especially when the cost is either very high or very low. That is absurdly high unless they're replacing it with a factory new motor, which in a 7 year old car seems a tad excessive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts