Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Smart is Running Ruff And Using A Quart Of Oil Per 1000 Miles, Will Check Compression This Weekend, If It Is Head Problem Where Can I Find Gaskets And Head Bolts? Should I Buy New Head Or Have Mine Rebuilt?
Looks Like About $1000 To Have Head Rebuilt And Buy Parts If I Do The Work. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
My Smart is Running Ruff And Using A Quart Of Oil Per 1000 Miles, Will Check Compression This Weekend, If It Is Head Problem Where Can I Find Gaskets And Head Bolts? Should I Buy New Head Or Have Mine Rebuilt?
Looks Like About $1000 To Have Head Rebuilt And Buy Parts If I Do The Work. Thanks
If it's running "ruff" the check engine light should be on and have some codes stored to point you in the right direction. Makes no sense to rebuild a head if you have a bad coil, sensor or injector.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Depending on where the original poster is, how about a whole engine that runs well, doesn't use oil, isn't setting misfire codes, and which comes with the rest of the car - Clutch is toast, A/C doesn't work, front end needs work but the engine is good. Located near Toronto. Make me an offer, you get the car out of here. It's driveable, actually goes quite nicely once moving, the clutch is very grabby on takeoff from a stop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For the Car Offer, I Am In Southern Indiana Would Be A Good Offer If We Were Closer Have Been Looking For A Parts Car. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Davidl. I bought the headgasket and stretch head bolts from the local dealership. List prices....Headgasket $44.50, head bolts $4.90 x 8.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I would guess it may need more work on the head judging from what we have seen over the last few years..

·
Registered
493 Posts
another item you may need and replace.....
the 451s are known for valve guide. depending on the miles, safe bet is replace them as well

steveg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts