Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a smart car that came with on one key and would like to get a spare key for car. I am in El Paso Texas and cannot find anybody who will make me one.
I have a new key just need someone to pair it with car
Marcel

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Problem is you bought your own key same as I did through the internet. A lot of locksmiths will not guarantee that it'll work unless they sell you the key from their stock and cut and program it themselves.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I had new 2 ones at the dealership. They came from smart. They were based on my vin number. They paired them to my car.

Call up some lock smiths in you area. See if they can perform it. Do you know where any of the old MB/smart dealer were?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys, I have a smart car that came with on one key and would like to get a spare key for car. I am in El Paso Texas and cannot find anybody who will make me one.
Marcel
I bought a used 2015 smart with 6k miles that the guy just drove as an advertisement for his business to trade shows. He had lost the 2nd key and the manuals, i went to a local locksmith like one group member suggested. It is really an involved processing to recreate the key since he used a Mercedes Benz online program. He had a programming box he plugged in and had to reprogram both keys at the same time (you can have more then two, but all keys have to be be reprogrammed at the same time, otherwise any key not reprogrammed wont work anymore. It was about $250-$275 For one key. The check engine light came on when I was driving home, so I turned around and drove back and by the time I had gotten their it had gone off. Love the car but everything costs. The 2015 replacement manuals cost $250 on eBay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Marcel
Order blank key form ebay then find a locksmith that will cut and reprogram the key. When reprogramming all keys new and existing needs to be reprogram simultaneously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a used 2015 smart with 6k miles that the guy just drove as an advertisement for his business to trade shows. He had lost the 2nd key and the manuals, i went to a local locksmith like one group member suggested. It is really an involved processing to recreate the key since he used a Mercedes Benz online program. He had a programming box he plugged in and had to reprogram both keys at the same time (you can have more then two, but all keys have to be be reprogrammed at the same time, otherwise any key not reprogrammed wont work anymore. It was about $250-$275 For one key. The check engine light came on when I was driving home, so I turned around and drove back and by the time I had gotten their it had gone off. Love the car but everything costs. The 2015 replacement manuals cost $250 on eBay.
I downloaded the manuals and maintenance logs from the MB/Smart Web site. Of course I had to print them, but could have taken it to a printer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Marcel
I was approached by an elderly man in the supermarket parking lot who told me he sold his Smart and forgot to give the second key to the new owner. He offered the key to me. Should I have taken it? What will I have to do to make it work?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was approached by an elderly man in the supermarket parking lot who told me he sold his Smart and forgot to give the second key to the new owner. He offered the key to me. Should I have taken it? What will I have to do to make it work?
I believe car keys are cut car specific otherwise with my SMART key I would be able to manually open any SMART car and steal belonging inside. You can buy a blank SMART key in eBay that is where I buy my SMART car keys; then, I go to my local locksmith for cut and reprogramming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts