Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone describe where/how to mount a CB radio antenna on my 451?

I'd like to use my HAM/CB/EVDO antennae but I can't imagine where I'd mount them.

TIA!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll be watching this thread too as I'm wanting to do this. There is a clip antenna that works well on our smarts but I don't remember where to get it or who makes it.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Disclaimer: all I know about radios is they have an on/off switch and a volume control.

However, here's a CB antenna mount for another plastic car: Corvette CB NGP, Antenna, Quick Disconnect, Antenna System, 1984-1996 to give you an idea of how one could be mounted.

Now, here's another link to a Firestik NGP antenna setup: Firestik No-Ground CB Antenna Roof Kit [Firestik FG2-DD] - $49.95

Seems like something could be rigged up using one of the rear tow bolt holes for the mount but I'll leave that to the experts. :)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
On your Gremlin?:rolleyes:

Ok For real I would look at some way with the tow bolt holes and some combination of bolts.

Or if my 70's memory is right, arnt their Suction cup mounting options for those antenas?

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
Breaker, breaker for that "foxmajik", ya got them ears on?

Hey good buddy, I think you should get one of them there 'ugly sticks' from back in the 70's and mount it where your tow hook goes in the back. That would be one good lookin' smart. Kinda have that 1/1 scale R/C Car look, ya know? :D

10-4? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a video on YouTube where an Englishman installed 4 radios and separate antennae. I will mount mine on the side of the rear hatch as he did with an angtle bracket.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I assume antenna technology has come a long way since my CB radio days. Back then it was all about the ground plane and where you mounted the antenna on it as to what kind of reception you got. I used to have a magnetic mount antenna, but I don't suppose it would work too well on a smart,

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the late 70's put 108" whip antenna on a Honda 600 Coupe (600 lbs lighter than smart-2 cyl 600cc)
still have the antenna, wonder how it would look on smart????

·
Registered
118 Posts
For my ham radio, I use a 2m/440 magmount antenna on the roof. I have strong magnets that I put on the inside of the roof panel, under the antenna and that holds it in place. I put tape under the antenna base to protect the roof from being scratched.

It works OK, but really doesn't have a ground plane. I have been thinking about adding a metal plate for that and see if that improves antenna performance.

alan

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
didn't I read somewhere over here that you can get a splitter for the factory length antenna
and use both CB and stock head unit at the same time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts