Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be adding the stock subwoofer to my Radio 9. From perusing subwoofer posts, I understand that there's a plug-n-play connector somewhere under the driver's seat. I can't seem to locate it (all the wiring appears to be associated with the airbags...). Can anyone give me a description and location of the subwoofer connector please?

·
Registered
218 Posts
If its any help... the guys that did mine at the stereo shop said it was a "cake" car to work on... I do have the pin-out and the stereo connections (like, which pin goes where for the subwoofer and stuff)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I get a copy of the Pin-Outs/Connections

If its any help... the guys that did mine at the stereo shop said it was a "cake" car to work on... I do have the pin-out and the stereo connections (like, which pin goes where for the subwoofer and stuff)

How can i get that listing/mapping of the wiring from you if you still have them. :) Id appreciate it more than you know... Especially since im driving around with a half dismantled dash!!! Im trying to figure out how i can wire the box speaker system i bought to the smart 10 radio. The box speaker system has a pair of 6.5" woofers & 2 high output horn tweeters. The speaker system is a Scosche HD Full Range Speaker System thats rated at 100 watts/300 watts max.

I am really good with HOME audio equipment & wiring... However i found out really quick (but not fast enough to keep me from disassembling my dash lol) that home audio wiring knowledge does NOT translate over to AUTO audio wiring. THAT SAID, any help someone can give me is going to need to very detailed and simple at the same time lol. And anyone who can and will do that... THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCED!!!

~Charles

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
How can i get that listing/mapping of the wiring from you if you still have them. :) Id appreciate it more than you know... Especially since im driving around with a half dismantled dash!!! Im trying to figure out how i can wire the box speaker system i bought to the smart 10 radio. The box speaker system has a pair of 6.5" woofers & 2 high output horn tweeters. The speaker system is a Scosche HD Full Range Speaker System thats rated at 100 watts/300 watts max.

I am really good with HOME audio equipment & wiring... However i found out really quick (but not fast enough to keep me from disassembling my dash lol) that home audio wiring knowledge does NOT translate over to AUTO audio wiring. THAT SAID, any help someone can give me is going to need to very detailed and simple at the same time lol. And anyone who can and will do that... THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCED!!!

~Charles
Www.evilution.com

·
Registered
275 Posts
The subwoofer plug is underneath the carpet, by the forward right corner of the drivers seat. You'll have to remove the drivers seat to pull up the carpeting to see the plug if it isn't already above the carpeting. If you unplug all of the connectors to the drivers seat to remove it -- DO NOT turn the ignition on. This will set a code which will require a trip to the dealer to remove. Sometimes, the carpeting will have perforations where the plug and a few inches of cabling can poke through. On mine, I had to cut an "X" in the carpeting to bring the plug up above the carpet.

When removing the drivers seat -- cover the tridion door sill with padding. Cover the sill up past the door striker, just in case the seat rails bump against the car when removing or re-installing.

I removed practically the entire interior of my car when doing a turbo install. Both seats, parts of the dash, all of the carpeting, most of the interior panels. As small as the Smart is -- there's a lot of stuff in there...

·
Registered
209 Posts
So let me get this right Gearhead, I have the Radio 10, wanting to instal a stealth woofer under my seat, will the plug and wiring already be there? Or will I have to place everything there on my own? I do Not have a stock subwoofer in my car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2009 Passion with a Radio 9 that came WITHOUT the OEM sub. I was lucky enough to buy the OEM sub for $50.

The plug for the sub-woofer IS under the drivers seat as Gearhead explained. It simply plugs into the sub, you mount it down with bolts and the seat and you have instant bass.

I have the pin out diagram somewhere as I wrote it down. I did car stereo installs in the early 90's and have a lot of knowledge in this area.

I'll try to find the diagram if others need it. You can then install any aftermarket sub with high level inputs, just maybe not under the seat.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Front right mounting point of the drivers seat.Look for it there- and don't bother. Almost guaranteed that if even if you follow the Alldata wiring guide verbatim, it's not going to be what you want. I believe it was left door speaker positve to right tweeter negative. Somebody installed an Eclipse aftermarket head unit in my vehicle. The OEM door speakers play full range and the OEM tweeters in the dash had a high pass capacitor. Fading the speakers to achieve tonal balance caused the sub fade out- the sub was strongest only when the fader was neutral. A workaround is that the OEM sub input should be left door positive to right door negative.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about dash tweeter wires?

I have a 2009 Passion with a Radio 9 that came WITHOUT the OEM sub. I was lucky enough to buy the OEM sub for $50.

The plug for the sub-woofer IS under the drivers seat as Gearhead explained. It simply plugs into the sub, you mount it down with bolts and the seat and you have instant bass.

I have the pin out diagram somewhere as I wrote it down. I did car stereo installs in the early 90's and have a lot of knowledge in this area.

I'll try to find the diagram if others need it. You can then install any aftermarket sub with high level inputs, just maybe not under the seat.
Thanks for the info. I was a stereo installer from 1981 to 1997, but after 7,000 plus cars I avoid it at all costs these days! However, just bought a 2009 Smart and it has the stereo w/2-door speakers only. I think I'll be satisfied with just installing the little factory underseat sub and getting 2-factory tweeters to snap in the dash. A: Do you know where those tweeter wires are located, and B: Will the stereo have to come out to adjust anything so the sub and tweeters will work off it? Thanks in advance, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also was an installer for about 10 years. The tweeter wires are already there in the dash at the tweeter location just taped up. You'll have to assume that old position with your shoulders on the floor mat and looking up in the dash while all the blood runs to your head. Remember that one? My neck hurts just thinking about it.

You do not need to pull the radio for any reason. The tweeter wires are live and if you use the OEM sub it simply plugs in and works. Even if it's an aftermarket sub, all the wires are there and they are live also.

My 2009 was plug and play. Hope this helps.

Shawn

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also was an installer for about 10 years. The tweeter wires are already there in the dash at the tweeter location just taped up. You'll have to assume that old position with your shoulders on the floor mat and looking up in the dash while all the blood runs to your head. Remember that one? My neck hurts just thinking about it.

You do not need to pull the radio for any reason. The tweeter wires are live and if you use the OEM sub it simply plugs in and works. Even if it's an aftermarket sub, all the wires are there and they are live also.

My 2009 was plug and play. Hope this helps.

Shawn
Haha, thanks Shawn. It amazes me to this day the positions you had to get in to work on cars back in the day. I did look up the passenger side, which was clear, but like you said. Blood rushed to my head and then the back cramped up!! F'ing only 50 yrs old now, but can't bend like Gumby anymore! LOL. I'll ck it out. Just need to find those tweeters that snap on in there fast and easy. Thanks again! Francis H.

·
Registered
111 Posts
LOL. I know exactly what you mean.

I bought aftermarket tweets on eBay and the factory sub from a friend who got it from a salvage yard. Sounds really good but I want to swap out the OEM door speakers next.

Shawn

·
Registered
110 Posts
New Stereo

I just purchased an 09 Passion, I want to do an upgrade on the stereo, the question is after reading the manual it says that other components are affected by changing things. I am having the work done by a stereo place but they have never done a smart car before (small town) only smart so far. I am having a new unit JVC, replace the door speakers and tweeters with Memphis, a small amp and a DD sub. Anything I should warn them about or be aware of, Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tarheel,

There are no other issues to be aware of. You can remove and swap whatever audio equipment you like. Just don't turn the key on with the seats removed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts