Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which aftermarket wipers work on a 451?

I just bought a pair of Trico Flex wiper blades, only to find that they do not come with adapter hardware that will work with the peculiar tab/arrow-shaped pinch-clip attachment arrangement on a 2015 451.

Which aftermarket blades can be attached correctly to the 451 wiper arms? Or am I missing something about how they attach?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Different lengths...................

Several brands that will fit can be found at SmartMadness, Amazon, Ebay,etc. IMPORTANT to order 22in for drivers side,
and 21in for the passenger side. If BOTH are 22in, at fastest wiper speed the passenger side will strike the metal frame,and chip the paint................

·
Registered
333 Posts
Several brands that will fit can be found at SmartMadness, Amazon, Ebay,etc. IMPORTANT to order 22in for drivers side,
and 21in for the passenger side. If BOTH are 22in, at fastest wiper speed the passenger side will strike the metal frame,and chip the paint................

Interesting...

I'm using 22" on the passenger side and 24" on the driver's. No problems.

Does anyone know the official factory supplied sizes? :shrug:

~toaster

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The adapter type is called “pinch tab” if that helps any...
Yes, but the "pinch tab" adapter on the Trico blades don't work - they are too short - and dont have a slot for the steel tab to go into. And I'm looking for a specific make/model blade that someone reported works.

And why order on the internet? I've got a half-dozen auto parts stores within 3 miles of my house.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Interesting...

I'm using 22" on the passenger side and 24" on the driver's. No problems.

Does anyone know the official factory supplied sizes? :shrug:

~toaster

I kept the originals because they were odd sizes, IIRC. Let me see if I can find them.....

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Yes, but the "pinch tab" adapter on the Trico blades don't work - they are too short - and dont have a slot for the steel tab to go into. And I'm looking for a specific make/model blade that someone reported works.

And why order on the internet? I've got a half-dozen auto parts stores within 3 miles of my house.

Did not know that! Trico is usually pretty accurate...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just bought a pair of Trico Flex wiper blades, only to find that they do not come with adapter hardware that will work with the peculiar tab/arrow-shaped pinch-clip attachment arrangement on a 2015 451.

Which aftermarket blades can be attached correctly to the 451 wiper arms? Or am I missing something about how they attach?

You can enter your model info at Trico's website for installation instructions. I think this is the correct video:
Windshield Wiper Installation Videos | TRICO® Windshield Wipers

I have the Trico Neoform wipers and they fit fine.

~toaster

·
Registered
146 Posts
The blade you want for the 451 is:

https://www.amazon.com/Valeo-23OE-U...5&keywords=valeo+wiper+blade+for+smart+fortwo

23" is a perfect replacement for the driver's side and 22" for the passenger side,
no chatter, clips on like the original,,,,,said to be the original provider.
I recently purchased and can vouch for the choice.
Note: you will not need the provided adapter, just pinch the tabs, as you did to remove the original blade and the new one locks into place

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Costco Goodyear Hybrid, if I’m not mistaken, or Sam’s Club Optix if I am mistaken.

23 3/16 and 21 3/16, or in between that and 23 1/8 and 21 1/8. A little hard to measure with tape measure and holding them flat on table...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toaster,

A video is worth an infinity of words sometimes. I see what I was doing wrong. I was trying to slide the blade laterally on until the pinch prongs snapped into the "arrow nocks" - which is how the old factory ones come on and off. Instead, it is more of a rotational motion - hooking the tab on the arm under the plastic piece first.

And yes, the store fitment book-specified 21 and 22 inch blades are a bit shorter than the factory ones. 22 and 23 inches would probably be closer.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Toaster,

A video is worth an infinity of words sometimes. I see what I was doing wrong. I was trying to slide the blade laterally on until the pinch prongs snapped into the "arrow nocks" - which is how the old factory ones come on and off. Instead, it is more of a rotational motion - hooking the tab on the arm under the plastic piece first.

My wife switched our service from T-Mobile to Sprint, and along the way 4 phones needed to be replaced. I ended up with an iPhone X which I can barely use. I could take a screen shot of the video link and that was as far as I got.....

Glad it worked out for you.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
23 3/16 and 21 3/16, or in between that and 23 1/8 and 21 1/8. A little hard to measure with tape measure and holding them flat on table...

Are those the dimensions of the rubber strip which contacts the windshield or the overall blade length?

Toaster,

And yes, the store fitment book-specified 21 and 22 inch blades are a bit shorter than the factory ones. 22 and 23 inches would probably be closer.

Glad I could help.

My 22" & 24" nominal size Trico Neoforms have actual measurements of 21.75" & 23.75" for the rubber strips. Part of my reason for selecting the 24" one for the driver's side was to better sweep the hockey puck rain sensor.

I find that Evilution calls for 21" & 22" blades for the 451... with the longer one on the right (our passenger side, their driver's side).
https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=servicing&mod=591

~toaster

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update... still does not work. It might work if I cut a slot on the plastic ("B") piece with a small drill or Dremel (if I had one) tool to insert the tab on the wiper arm into - but why should I do that? I'll return them and try another (unfortunately, more expensive) brand.

For now - do not buy Trico Flex blades for the Smart 451.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts